Tranny leaking fluid in reverse only? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tranny leaking fluid in reverse only?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 09-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
97cherokeegirl
1997 ZJ 

Tranny leaking fluid in reverse only?

I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It is automatic tranny which was replaced about 50,000 miles give or take. It was replaced before I bought it from a brother's friend who did all the maintenance and repair on it. This morning I noticed a transmission fluid leak under the Jeep. My boyfriend had me back it out of the driveway and said it's leaking fluid pretty badly when it's in reverse... when it's in Neutral, Drive gears or Park it's not leaking. I am thinking that this is a line problem or a connection with a line problem. The transmission switches gears fine and isn't appearing to be running hot or anything. This just started in the past 24 hours. It definitely wasn't leaking yesterday morning. What do I need to do to fix this problem? I can't avoid reverse forever and I am trying to not have a huge repair bill. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. The undercarriage, engine area is wet from the tranny fluid spraying out, it appears to be collecting near the radiator and then dripping down. Thanks everyone for any help or assistance!

P.S. I know more about cars and fixing them than my boyfriend does.. lol

97cherokeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

"it appears to be collecting near the radiator and then dripping down"

Is the leak at the radiator? Check for loose connections or cracked lines associated with the transmission fluid cooler at the radiator.

The pressure test procedures for my 93 show 173-209 psi in Drive and 213-263 psi in Reverse.
iPlay1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
97cherokeegirl
1997 ZJ 

Hmm.. that is something I didn't think about. It is definitely the tranny fluid. The fluid that is leaking is red in color. My Coolant is green in color. Thanks for the tip. Will check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPlay1515 View Post
"it appears to be collecting near the radiator and then dripping down"

Is the leak at the radiator? Check for loose connections or cracked lines associated with the transmission fluid cooler at the radiator.
Unread 09-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cherokeegirl View Post
Hmm.. that is something I didn't think about. It is definitely the tranny fluid. The fluid that is leaking is red in color. My Coolant is green in color. Thanks for the tip. Will check that out.
The transmission fluid is cooled at the radiator. If you have a tranny fluid leak in that vicinity, it will be red too.

Hold the brake on, put the vehicle in reverse, press the accelerator slightly, and have someone look for the leak. Don't crawl under the car or stand behind it while performing this test.

See attached illustration.
93zjtrannycooler.jpg  
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
97cherokeegirl
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the diagram! I have been trying to find any diagrams online, but everything is having to buy the whole manuals or something. I am definitely checking into this. My boyfriend watched the tranny fluid leaking out under the Jeep this am when I was in reverse, and then it would go away when it was put into drive or park. It's definitely dripped right at the front behind the radiator and it looks as if it's being sprayed out and then collection is dripping down onto the pavement. It's all wet and messy underneath there. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know if this is indeed the problem and when I get it resolved. You rock!
Unread 09-06-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cherokeegirl View Post
Thanks for the diagram! I have been trying to find any diagrams online, but everything is having to buy the whole manuals or something. I am definitely checking into this. My boyfriend watched the tranny fluid leaking out under the Jeep this am when I was in reverse, and then it would go away when it was put into drive or park. It's definitely dripped right at the front behind the radiator and it looks as if it's being sprayed out and then collection is dripping down onto the pavement. It's all wet and messy underneath there. Thanks for the help! I'll let you know if this is indeed the problem and when I get it resolved. You rock!
You can find many of the Jeep Factory Service Manuals on eBay. Some of the sellers have them in PDF format that you download immediately after the purchase.

The price ranges between 3 and 7 dollars. Do a search on eBay for your year and style along with factory service manual or service manual. For me, the search was: 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Service Manual. It took all of 5 minutes to complete the transaction using PayPal and download the manual.
Unread 09-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
97cherokeegirl
1997 ZJ 

I wanted to say thanks for all your help! I was indeed one of the Transmission cooling line fittings that blew off the steel connection to the radiator. Easy fix, not an expensive repair and refilled all the tranny fluid and I'm back on the road! You rock for helping me out! Now, I just have to figure out what works best to get all the tranny fluid off the total undercarriage and the hatch and rear window! LOL. All that fluid blew back under the Jeep and swirled around onto the back window and hatch. It's a mess!
Unread 09-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
iPlay1515
1993 ZJ 

Nice that it turns out to be a simple repair, and thanks for posting the outcome.

A little degreaser from Sam's Club and a pressure washer will do wonders for the undercarriage.

Tags
leaking fluid , tranny problem

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.