Tranny leak - please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tranny leak - please help!

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 10-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
buck8
1994 ZJ 

Tranny leak - please help!

I must first start off by thanking everyone who contributes to the threads here on jeepforum.com, you guys have helped me more than you will ever know!
With that said, I have a 94 ZJ with the 5.2l and recently took on the challenge of replacing the automatic transmission by myself. It's my first tranny, but I have internet access and some great friends who are mechanics. Also, with money tight, I decided to attempt a swap from the local 'pick and pull" because I have $100 but not $1500 for a new tranny.
After dropping several transmission pans on various ZJ's, I came across a beauty, full front end damage with crystal clear transmission fluid! I realize that I'm gambling with this transmission, but it's better than what I had!
All in all, no problems dropping tranny from donor vehicle or my own, degreased everything, from tranny to undercarriage of ZJ while I was there (figured it would help me diagnose leaks sooner).
I (literally) blew out the transmission cooler lines, added a new gasket, filter, transmission mount, and Lucas semi-synthetic tranny fluid (which cost as much as the tranny!). While in there, decided to replace rear main seal, oil pump, and oil pan gasket.
After several failed attempts at starting once I thought I had everything together, I realized that I had broken the crankshaft position sensor from it's plastic mount while linking bell housing to motor. After replacing, she started on the first crank, I was so relieved for a bit... Other than the occasional slip while placing into park, she was shifting smoothly and not making any noise, I thought I was safe and gave myself a pat on the back...
Then, I began to notice a small tranny fluid leak dripping from the front of the passenger side of the transmission pan. After re-torking the pan bolts with no resolve, I attempted to get my head in there and see where the fluid is coming from. Couldn't pin point any location but I thought it might be from where I re-seated the dipstick tube into the transmission (I should have replaced the O-ring). For the life of me I don't know where it's leaking from and now the puddle is getting bigger. I added some Lucas additive to stop leaks and slippage, but I fear the puddle is now growing! Could this be a problem of over filled transmission fluid. I rigorously check fluid levels after the jeep is at normal operating temp and shifting throughout all the gears, checking level when in neutral. I noticed that this transmission does not have a "blow off valve" or something similar if overfilled. Could it be that I don't have the dipstick tube seated deep enough, therefore giving me a false reading of low when fluid level is actually high?
Where would excess fluid leak from transmission if overfilled?
I appreciate any ideas or suggestions, I seem to be lost at this time.
Thanks again for all of your help!
These pictures are after she has sat for about 40 hours, consistent drip without running...

img_0755.jpg   img_0757.jpg  
buck8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Clean it real good and recheck for leaks. If you overfilled it a lot it might puke out of the vent, the vent is inside the bell housing on top of the pump. You wouldnt see fluid coming out of the vent unless the engine was running. I would suspect a pan gasket, dipstick tube or something lower like the a shift rail seal or NSS.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
x1n54n3x
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Was this ever resolved?
x1n54n3x is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.