Tranny issue; Gov sensor/solenoid or??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Tranny issue; Gov sensor/solenoid or???

Ever since I've owned my 5.9 I've had a weird issue during full throttle 1-2 upshifts where the transmission wont shift quick enough to keep the engine from hitting the fuel cutoff/rev limiter so it bucks and sputters, this is a different sputter than the "less than 1/4 tank around corners" fuel starvation issue tho. Up until now I've just dealt with it and either dont give it full throttle or I just back off a bit right before redline then hammer it back down and I'm fine on the 2-3 shift and into O/D. I'm not getting any codes, the tranny doesnt "hunt" gears at partial throttle and the fluid was changed like 10k ago and looks/smells good so I'm wondering if its still possibly a gov sensor/solenoid issue or if I should be looking elsewhere?

Needs parts?
PM Kolak or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I think a little tweeking with that throttle cable and you'd be golden . IIRC , move it a notch or 2 back for quicker shifting .
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 PM
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

adjusting the bands might help as well...

1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
I think a little tweeking with that throttle cable and you'd be golden . IIRC , move it a notch or 2 back for quicker shifting .
Yea, I forgot to mention I've tried that, both loosened it up till it was shifting really early up and down as well as tightened so every gear banged even at part throttle and it was annoying to drive. I'm honestly at a loss since the setting I have it at now results in firm but not rough up/downshifts and the tranny shifts great everywhere except full throttle on the 1-2

Needs parts?
PM Kolak or kolak@kolakperformance.com
post #5 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 AM
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

You need to adjust the bands.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...09/index3.html

1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
post #6 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Spanovich008
1995 ZJ 

if it's not throwing any codes, then it's probably not the Pressure Sensor and/or Solenoid. Sounds like your bands need adjusted.

don't be afraid to put the "fun" in "dis-functional"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.