Tranny hestitation - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-02-2006, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Zurn

Tranny hestitation

Hello Everyone,

I have been having this issue with my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I have the 4.0L inline 6 and a 42RE transmission. The problem is this:

When I drive the Jeep for the first time of the day (or anytime the Jeep has sat long enough to cool down), the transmission seems to not want to shift into second gear. When the tranny is suppose to shift from 1st to 2nd it will hesitate, then after about 30 seconds or so it goes into 2nd. It shifts into the other gears without problem, and downshifts fine. This issues also disappears when the engine and tranny warm up.

I have been trying to find a solution to this problem, but have not been able to find one. Does anyone have any ideas? If so, I would be absolutely greatful.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-02-2006, 01:43 PM
OlllllllO Jeep1

Get the fluid, filter, changed and the bands adjusted, see if that helps.
Did you check the fluid level and the see if the fluid looks burnt?

Presnt Jeep(s).
91 Wrangler 4.0 H.O. 3" lift and 32" tires.
86 CJ-7 2.5 (Yuck!) totally stock and rust
free, factory Dana 44 in the rear.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-02-2006, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Zurn

Thank you for the fast response! I changed the fluid and filter about 3 weeks ago. That got rid of the "thunk" when I shifted from park. I did not adjust the bands though. I thnk I will give that a shot and see if that helps.

Thanks again...

post #4 of 9 Old 04-02-2006, 02:00 PM
rrubio
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Are you getting any codes?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-02-2006, 02:47 PM
zjhitman

Do you have a factory tow package? My 97 has a factory tow package and does the same thing, except it's on the 2nd to 3rd shift. In the owner's manual it says that they will sometimes do that. It has to do with the transmission cooler, because that works year round. That's why mine is worse in the winter when it is really cold. I generally just let off the throttle until it shifts, then accelerate again. Just like yours, after the first shift of the day, it's usually fine. It's still going after about 236,000 miles.

zjhitman
post #6 of 9 Old 04-02-2006, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Zurn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjhitman
Do you have a factory tow package? My 97 has a factory tow package and does the same thing, except it's on the 2nd to 3rd shift. In the owner's manual it says that they will sometimes do that. It has to do with the transmission cooler, because that works year round. That's why mine is worse in the winter when it is really cold. I generally just let off the throttle until it shifts, then accelerate again. Just like yours, after the first shift of the day, it's usually fine. It's still going after about 236,000 miles.
Yes I do have the factory tow package. Come to think about it, I did not have this problem last summer. Food for though for sure. As for codes, I have not checked as of yet (life gets crazy sometimes). Is there a way to get the codes without having to purchase a code scanner, or take it in? I know that you can jumper the plug where the scanner connects and read the flashing check engine light on some cars, but I wasn't sure this can be done on a Jeep.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Gillistheman

Your jeep is a 99. There is no way to check for codes without a scanner, and if anything, a DRB 3 is your best bet. (the chrysler scan tool.) If you had any codes, the CEL would go on (in most cases), because the TCM (trans controller) sends a message to the PCM (pwertrain controller) to light the mil. your code, in that case would be p0700, or internal trans code. Sounds to me like you have a sticking solenoid, or some other internal problem. If the 2/4 band were worn out of adjustment, the tranny would probably just slip in between shifts. I'd find a reputable transmission shop or the jeep dealer (with a good tranny guy) and have him help you out. Whats the mileage, by the way, and what kind of driving do you do? Low speed towing would easily kill the 2/4 clutch in an RE tranny, but i think the Low/reverse band would go first? I can't really diagnose it from here, but i'll keep in tune for more info.

Level 3 Certified Chrysler/Jeep Technican
post #8 of 9 Old 04-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Gillistheman

By the way, to read a check engine light in a wj jeep that's post 00, cycle the key from off to the on position 3 times. It will give you a numeric code that is translated through OBD 2 standards.

Level 3 Certified Chrysler/Jeep Technican
post #9 of 9 Old 04-03-2006, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Zurn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillistheman
Your jeep is a 99. There is no way to check for codes without a scanner, and if anything, a DRB 3 is your best bet. (the chrysler scan tool.) If you had any codes, the CEL would go on (in most cases), because the TCM (trans controller) sends a message to the PCM (pwertrain controller) to light the mil. your code, in that case would be p0700, or internal trans code. Sounds to me like you have a sticking solenoid, or some other internal problem. If the 2/4 band were worn out of adjustment, the tranny would probably just slip in between shifts. I'd find a reputable transmission shop or the jeep dealer (with a good tranny guy) and have him help you out. Whats the mileage, by the way, and what kind of driving do you do? Low speed towing would easily kill the 2/4 clutch in an RE tranny, but i think the Low/reverse band would go first? I can't really diagnose it from here, but i'll keep in tune for more info.
I have 103,259 miles on it. The Jeep is used for mostly in-town driving. I do very minimal towing. I think the hardest part of this IS finding a good tranny shop. I have never had to do this kind of search before, I ususally try to take care of my own issues. If it is the bands, I do feel comfortable making the adjustments myself, however in case of the solenoid, I would start my search. Or maybe the other way depending on the location of the solenoid.
Can you buy the DB3 scanner at any good auto parts store? I apologize for not adding this to my original post, but the check engine light does not come on.
Speaking of tranny shops, does anyone here happen to live near enough to the Fargo, ND area to know of any?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.