Tranny or Drive system Binding??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tranny or Drive system Binding???

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-01-2003, 11:10 AM   #1
Off Road

Tranny or Drive system Binding???

Still in the process of purchasing a vehicle. Looking at a 1997 or 98 GC Limited. Taken one out on a test drive (a 98) and when turning sharp either left or right, there seems to be a binding and a fair bit of noise from the wheels. Is this normal for this tranny and drive system? If one is on a smooth paved surface, such as an underground parking lot, there is a lot of squeeling of the tires and continued binding. I have taken out a 2000 GC limited and there is a touch of squeeling but no binding or grinding whatsoever. There is a declaration on the 98 in the right rear, but not sure if this would affect the whole drive system. It's got 85000 km's on it and very clean except for this problem. Your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 11:13 AM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Hello and welcome to the world of quadratrac.

If that jeep has it, the tires will chirp and bite like crazy. I know that mine do.

If it is extremely excessive, maybe the viscous dampner is going out.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 11:51 AM   #3
PDshooter

CK C.V boots?
MOS 63H 11B 43E
PDshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 12:26 PM   #4
Off Road

Thanks for the welcome and replies! I don't have the equipment to do any checking or work, but I'll take it to a friend who has a shop. They must have really changed the tranny system on the newer ones, because they sure do drive better! Mind you, the tires are really cheap and it has been hit, so I'll void that last comment and try a couple more 97/98's and do a comparison.
Unread 08-01-2003, 01:03 PM   #5
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Mine on the slick concrete of a parking garage sounds like you are peeling out everytime I turn. Now, I do have a lot more contact patch on the ground from the tires than stock.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 02:01 PM   #6
pozner

Re: Tranny or Drive system Binding???

Quote:
Originally posted by Off Road
Still in the process of purchasing a vehicle. Looking at a 1997 or 98 GC Limited. Taken one out on a test drive (a 98) and when turning sharp either left or right, there seems to be a binding and a fair bit of noise from the wheels.
It's a bad viscous coupling in the TC. Sort of expensive to repair, if you can't live with it. Happens to most, if not every Quadratrac NP249 TC. The cure is to replace the TC ($$$), or if you can get one, a new viscous coupling. Heard they are $350 to $450, but I don't know where to get them.
pozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #7
Stocker

Not mine...

Quote:
Originally posted by Texas ZJ1
Hello and welcome to the world of quadratrac.

If that jeep has it, the tires will chirp and bite like crazy. I know that mine do.

If it is extremely excessive, maybe the viscous dampner is going out.
I've owned my 95 Q-trac ZJ since new, and with ~78K mi on it, I have never experienced bucking, chirping, binding, grinding or anything like it - yet! Maybe some are better, some are worse, but I don't believe it's normal unless there's a problem - or it's a weak unit to begin with.

The Jeep you test drove may have a bad viscous coupler or bad cv joints, as suggested.

As to squealing in a parking garage, every vehicle I've ever driven has done that.

My .02
Unread 08-03-2003, 05:38 PM   #8
Off Road

Thanks for all the input guys! Much appreciated. I'm going to keep this in mind when shopping. This vehicle was a nightmare! Been hit and wrought with many problems though it looks really nice inside and out! I'll try another 97/98, but probably going to go with the WJ 2000 limited with V8 instead. Heard a lot of great things about this engine and it drives beautifully!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.