Tranny/Diff. fluid & Audio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tranny/Diff. fluid & Audio

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 10-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Tranny/Diff. fluid & Audio

Hey everybody. As I am starting being able to get more progress on my 95 5.2 I was wondering if I should change my trans fluid and diff fluid. It has 203k miles, has sat for the past two years. So far going through the record log I just got of the jeep, the tranny fluid appears to last have been checked on at 170-177k miles? Not sure about diff but I think jiffy lube checks that every oil change.

Question relating to audio is if these HU will fit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X360...H-X3600UI.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130150M...DEH-150MP.html
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT57...P.html?tp=5684

And which one is really worth it more? I like the fact that the more expensive one has a USB spot. Also is there a kit or anything that I would need to buy to fit it? I believe I have the premium infinity sound system since the speakers all say Infinty Gold on them haha.

Also I dont know if my VC is out or if there is a wiring issue? On the current stock HU the screen is supposedly broken but the computer at the bottom in the center dash area and the stock HU screen do not turn on.

Thanks

95GCL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Jesus man, you need to change the trans oil and filter every 30-40 thousand or before with hard use. Same with the diff. Learn to take care of your stuff, don't trust freakin Jiffy Lube to make sure your transportation is working well. Crutchfield tells you if the radio will fit or not and they send all the stuff you need to install it.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

This isnt my vehicle yet and thats the last mileage I can find SO FAR. I have a ton of papers to go through and am quite busy. I stated that I just got the record, indicating that it was not my car. The PO was my grandmother not me, so do not place criticism on me.

Thats what I thought, however it now says on their site "installation gear for MOST vehicles, for only $15"
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

I have this head unit installed in my Jeep GC 96 Limited (very similar to the first one listed by you) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I am very pleased with this radio. I think its wonderful. Screen is a little bit bright and I miss having the display dim with the dash lights, but the audio quality through the USB port is so much better than the tape adapter I was using before. Even with the stock front speakers and some cheap Dual's in the back doors.

You need to use a bezel to have it fit in the opening from the old radio (which is 1.5 dins, and most new radios are 1 or 2 dins. Obviously a 2 din won't fit). I used this one so that way I have a little storage slot: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. However, mine isn't centered perfectly in the opening, so it looks a little tacky, and its a different finish, but for like $15 I'm happy enough.

I also bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 so I could do the soldering and heat shrink tubing outside the Jeep and not risk getting molten solder on any part of the interior.

I would pull out the radio and see if you have any power coming to the radio, if not check fuses and grounds, etc. I'd think that the HU and the VIC (that's the technical name for the computer below the A/C controls) are on the same fuse, but the electrician for Chrysler must've been on LSD at the time so you'll want to look into what fuses control what.

Oh and I'd recommend you listen to Polka, he knows what he is talking about and I'm sure he wasn't trying to insult you, just get his point across.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Tranny fluid is atf+4 I would change this and the filter by dropping the pan. The front and rear diff take 80w90. I would change it every 8500m. Yes change them both. Also you need a tune up. You can put any head unit it that will fit. The vic center screen is junk and it wont tell you anything about your vc. There defective. Test your vc by driving in figure 8s slow if the front tires bind or hop your vc is bad, I would change the tcase fluid aswell its atf+4 just like the tranny. Bottom bolt drains the fluid you poor it in the top one until it poors out. yes you have the infinity gold speakers and amp under the rear seat. You will need to attatch two wires together when installing you new HU. Or the speakers wont work. I cant remember off the top of my head which ones. So you will have to look it up. congrats on the new jeep.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

by the way you have a dana 30 front and dana 35 rear and a 46rh transmission and a np 249 transfer case. These are good things to remember in future repairs or trips to the auto parts stores. USB is good for when you download music you can use a 32gb flash drive and keep your entire music collection on it instead of carrying hundreds of cds.
Kevinyj95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
RoldGold
1996 ZJ 

It's like the blue/white one and purple one? Something like that. One of them is labeled power antenna on the HU and you connect that to the only remaining wire in the bundle that runs to the underseat amplifier. Google is your friend.
RoldGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for the help from everyone. I believe I have all the info I need now.
Unread 10-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I just installed a Kenwood from CF a few weeks ago. It came with the bezel, wiring harnesses, and instructions at no extra cost with the radio. There are also a bunch of tutorials on the web.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
95GCL
1995 ZJ 

Edit:nvm. Might just get some wire connects.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.