Trailer wiring and Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trailer wiring and Towing

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 08-26-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
datsun661600

Trailer wiring and Towing

I'm going to be towing my 66 datsun roadster with my girlfriends '01 Cherokee. The truck came with the towing package, 4.7L, class 3 hitch, RV plug, ect. My question is is the RV plug pre-wired from the dealer? Including the brake controler? I"m going to be pulling about 4000# up through the mountains of Newyork. I suspect the lighting will all work but not the brake controler. What is involved in installing a brake controler? Where do I find the connection to the harness? Also it is allwheel drive, should I be concerned about this for towing?

Thanks

datsun661600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 01:59 PM   #2
moabster
2011 WK 

I'm sure some things have changed on the Grand Cherokee since 1993 but....
I put a brake controller on my 1993 GC with the factory towing package. I also had the shop manual. The RV plug was already wired for a brake controller but the other end of the wire is left unconnected. I installed an electric brake controller under the dash just to the right of the steering column. I had to run a wire from the battery through a 20 amp (I think) circuit breaker, then through the firewall and to the controller. Another wire tied into the brake switch and then there was a wire coming from the controller that went to the wire from the RV plug. I think there was a forth wire that was tied to ground also.

I found the RV plug wire behind a little panel that is located by your left foot when it is on the foot rest on the drivers side of the jeep. Remove the panel and look for the wire. It was marked.

Caution: You need to protect the wiring from the battery to the controller. You can use a fuse, but if it blows you loose your brakes until it is replaced. I used a self reseting circuit breaker that you can pick up from an auto store. If it gets too hot, it breaks the circuit until it cools down. Then resets itself. So if you happen to overload the braking system and pop the breaker, it will reset in a few minutes.

Sorry so long but hope this helps.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.