Trailer Wiring Harness Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trailer Wiring Harness Question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
mudhawg93
1998 ZJ 

Trailer Wiring Harness Question

Is possible on a 98 to wire up a trailer harness without buying a tail light converter kit?

Just got a canoe and kind of need to use a trailer with it lol

mudhawg93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 08:08 AM   #2
NTH
1998 ZJ 

Good question. I just got hitch installed and wondering the same.
Unread 05-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Cbob4
1995 ZJ 

You need the converter because of the separate brake lights and turn signals on the ZJ...
Cbob4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
Taz360ZJ

all ZJ's came with the trailer wiring in the back, all you need is the relay pack and the trailer harness pigtail from a tow package ZJ. literally plug and play with the 7 pin adapter that has the 4 pin capability, and all you need is the extension from the trailer to the 7 pin adapter.

basically, go to the junk yard, find a ZJ with the factory trailer tow harness on the hitch, remove the plug, follow the wiring up the body, there's a rubber plug to seal it. remove the spare tire, remove the panel behind the spare, that's where the trailer wiring lives, the relay pack plugs in to the rectangular black plug below the window, about middle of the way of the glass, it may be tucked up under the metal, it's there just look (unless you have a 1993, some 1993's had trailer wiring on the passenger side about the same location...mid way below the glass, my 1993 has it like that, but my early 1993 i had over a decade ago had it on the driver side like most ZJ's). you might already have the relay pack, you might not. Keep in mind any year ZJ relay pack will work, I have a 1993 and a 1994 relay pack in my 1998 5.9's. i have a 7 pin harness from a 1994 in one 5.9, and i have the 7 plug pin harness in my other 5.9 from another 5.9.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/f...wiring-217228/

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3927_200303927

i use that adapter for towing, yeah it's big but it covers just about everything I'd tow, used it to pull my jet ski, enclosed trailers, and a car trailer.
Taz360ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 12:44 PM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

A lot of ZJ's aren't tow ready and don't have the wiring for the relay pack. It's common but not universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
mudhawg93
1998 ZJ 

10-4 I'll probably just but the converter kit lol

Thanks y'all
mudhawg93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #7
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
A lot of ZJ's aren't tow ready and don't have the wiring for the relay pack. It's common but not universal.
I have the relay pack, Where do I get the harness that goes from it to the hitch?
Unread 05-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

JY is easiest, mopar doesn't sell em anymore AFAIK.

Also note, the relay pack is not the thing in the cubby by the drivers taillight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2015, 10:45 AM   #9
Mel63
1998 ZJ 

I just recently wired mine and this was the best deal I good find, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

none of the auto parts stores here had one in stock they were special order, I cut the flat four pin connector off and used a six pin round connector and installed it permanently under the bumper, I didn't want to have to drop the wires out the rear hatch door when I wanted to pull a trailer...
Mel63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.