Trailer hitch tire mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trailer hitch tire mount

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 02-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
JeepArt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Trailer hitch tire mount

Looking for recommendations for a trailer hitch spare tire mount for my 96 ZJ. I want to hang a full size on the back without interfering with the hatchback.

JeepArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 08:50 PM   #2
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

I'm not aware of any in that style that don't affect the hatch atleast to some degree. Now, I haven't looked too deeply, but my findings weren't too promising.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
SAR-Swimmer
1997 ZJ 

Isn't going to happen, unless you design your own. It would have to be hinged, with an upper locking pin, or be setup to swing right out of the way.
If you have the time,tools,and ability to make one, you might be ok. But even if you make one that folds down clear of the hatch, it would still be somewhat in the way for loading anything.
Maybe take a look at bumper mounted carriers for ideas, then modify something similar, with a center mounting system.
If you're just trying to lose the spare from inside the cab, check out KOR, (Kevin's Off-Road), I think he's got a rooftop carrier.
Good luck!
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2014, 11:12 PM   #4
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

http://www.tiregate.com/hg-series/
1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
Some good ideas there

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 05:24 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That looks great but the problem I have with those is the price. By the time you get all of the accessories you want you may as well have gotten a really nice rear bumper instead.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 05:48 AM   #7
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
That looks great but the problem I have with those is the price. By the time you get all of the accessories you want you may as well have gotten a really nice rear bumper instead.
Yah, they're crazy wanting that much
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #8
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

I've been keeping my eyes out too. I really want to get one. I found some on ebay.

I'd want something like this so it keeps your hitch available. I know it would severely impact the tongue weight capacity but at least you could pull something if needed without taking it off.

That ebay company said they would make something like that but I didn't get a quote.
tireholder1.jpg  
bigchieftaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:07 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Purple ZJ made a swing out carrier that was integrated into the stock plastic bumper. It looked great and kept the stock look while holding a 35" tire I think it was. All his pics of the build were deleted from the photo storage server he was using though. So that sucks.

Here is the thread and a pic of the carrier without the stock bumper cover on it and one with the finished product. It looks awesome.http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...build-1332427/
screen-shot-2014-02-28-10.12.15-am.jpg

screen-shot-2014-02-28-10.13.34-am.jpg

Unread 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Kiss your departure angle goodbye with that one two posts up...wow.not to mention that welding/construction is poor. The entire thing is supported buy that one bead at the hitch with a ridiculous amount of load on it
I'm just gonna turn some Dom to accept trailer bearings and work off of that. I'll do that or I was also trying to figure out a carrier that would swing out or fold down depending on the what side the pins are in. Either way I'm gonna add an actuator tied into the hatch lock wire for security
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
Kiss your departure angle goodbye with that one two posts up...wow.not to mention that welding/construction is poor. The entire thing is supported buy that one bead at the hitch with a ridiculous amount of load on it
I'm just gonna turn some Dom to accept trailer bearings and work off of that. I'll do that or I was also trying to figure out a carrier that would swing out or fold down depending on the what side the pins are in. Either way I'm gonna add an actuator tied into the hatch lock wire for security
Ok you have 24 hours to post pics.
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #12
bigchieftaco
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
I agree it could of been executed and designed a lot better, I just like that style. I know the extended hitch part is probably useless, but I thought it was cool to have it. That way if you need to pull a small popup camper or something, you would still have your spare for the trip.
bigchieftaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
MD97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

http://www.detoursusa.com/knucklebone.php
MD97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Wow, still very expensive but at least it's done right with a better departure angle.
Unread 03-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #15
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

mfg'd ones are going to be spendy.

my brother opted to make his own for his jimmy and keep the ability to tow if need be. the departure angle on a jimmy/blazer isnt as good as a jeep anyways but his carrier actually hasnt affected it much. it just gets drug thru the dirt anyway and in a sense, protects the bumper from dragging

complete with relocated license plate and required lighting for legal reasons

we are working on provisions for mounting a clay bird thrower for when we are out having fun

1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.