Trailer Hitch For 99 WJ Limited Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trailer Hitch For 99 WJ Limited Questions

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
488TJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Trailer Hitch For 99 WJ Limited Questions

just picked up this 99 Limited with 199k for $4300 and am planning on putting a trailer hitch on it. heard from a few people you had to cut the stock bumper but i dont believe them, was wondering if its true, if so does anyone know of a good brand that u wont have to? i know this is a dumb question but this is probably the nicest vehicle ive owned and id just like to keep it that way...

488TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

200k miles for 4300 prob should of looked around a little more but still they run for ever

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Trailer towing check this has more info yes u have to Trim the rear bumper to fit a STOCK more form fitting mopar hitch others hang below and are further away from the frame.
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

If you take your time and do it carefully, cutting the stock bumper and inserting the bezel to fit a stock trailer hitch will keep your Jeep looking nicer than using an aftermarket hitch that hangs below the bumper. If you look at my build thread (link in my sig), you'll see pictures of both options, as I used to have an aftermarket hitch, but upgraded to a factory setup.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 03:50 AM   #4
488TJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

sorry for the typo, its got 119k not 200, thanks for the help ill defly check ur build out
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:46 AM   #5
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

I've never looked at one, but I've heard that non-tow package bumpers have dotted lines inside to follow when cutting. Would be real easy to make it look decent that way. Of course, to do it properly though you'd want to located one of those black bezels to fit inside the cut to clean it up.

LC.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

With that mileage correction, that was still a little high for $ but in NH, I imagine that people are willing to pay a bit extra for a year-round vehicle anyway.

It appears that someone also put new headlights in too. Hopefully, it has been well maintained as it appears and you also have good blend doors.

Do the tail lights/brake lights all work?

Any squaking from the door locks actuators?

Check the underside for rust issues on the tranny & oil pan. NE winters are tough on them.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Everything you need to know.... Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Trailer towing

Yes the bezel outline was marked on the inside of my bumper cover.
Unread 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
488TJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

no rust, no noises of any sort inside, everything works, and yes the front end does look a little new to me, i think it might of been in a minor front end on the passengers side before but it still rides smooth as hell, i needed a good daily anyways my tj was a hassle to get anywhere

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.