Trailer Hitch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trailer Hitch

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 10-19-2004, 07:52 AM   #1
det69

Trailer Hitch

Hello All,

I am considering installing a aftermarket hitch on my 04. I really don't want to fool with pulling the rear fascia off and cutting out the template to make it look like a factory install. I don't tow that much but would like to have the hitch just in case and as a recover point. Has anyone installed an aftermarket hitch that doesn't require pulling/cutting the facia? I checked out a hitch on-line that doesn't seem to require the extra steps but I want to be sure before I order. Any help will be appreciated.

det69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2004, 08:31 AM   #2
Chrisca

I don't think there are any after-market hitches that require cutting the bumper.
An after market bumper hangs down below the bumper and you WILL hit it if you if you do ANY wheelin' at all (even just bumpy dirt roads) .
Unread 10-19-2004, 01:05 PM   #3
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yeah what chrisca said.......you would have to get a factory Mopar hitch for it to actually fit where the stock one does. any aftermarket one will sit below the rear bumper. and as said before, you will hit it on something.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
Death-Mobile

...unless you put a lift kit on that bad boy!
Death-Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2004, 12:26 PM   #5
+ d

det69,

i just did it this last weekend (factory hitch on an '04) its really easy. the bumper facia already has guides on it, where to cut and where to drill. the only thing that takes a little bit of time and patience is taking the bumper facia off, the rest of it is a slam dunk. nothing beats the fit and finish of the factory system, soo worth the extra bucks.

david
Unread 10-27-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
det69

Quote:
Originally Posted by + d
det69,

i just did it this last weekend (factory hitch on an '04) its really easy. the bumper facia already has guides on it, where to cut and where to drill. the only thing that takes a little bit of time and patience is taking the bumper facia off, the rest of it is a slam dunk. nothing beats the fit and finish of the factory system, soo worth the extra bucks.

david
Thanks for the reply. After much consideration I will probably install the factory one; it does look much better. How did you install the plastic rivets during reassembly? I read the article on www.wjjeeps.com in which it stated you could use pliers vs. getting the rivet gun. If you used the pliers was it a hassle?
det69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2004, 10:17 AM   #7
+ d

i just did the pliers/box end wrench technique and yeah, its kind of a hassle...but i'm not about to drop 30-40 bucks just for a tool that only services my jeep's wheel well liners. i'm much more likely to install some jack-nuts next time i'm in there. that way i could use real screws. in fact i'm probably going to just buy a box of 100 and replace all those stupid rivets/sliding plastic expander dodads as i go....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.