Trailer Adapter wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Trailer Adapter wiring

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 06-04-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
miso_ohio

Trailer Adapter wiring

I have a 93 Grand Cherokee Limited that had a factory installed Towing package installed. Just recently the wiring adapter went kaputs on me, upon further inspection I can see that the metal contacts have pretty much disintegrated.

This has been down here 11 plus years and all the screws are pretty rusty making it impossible to take the adapter apart correctly. Anyways, this is an old Jeep, and the only thing I pull with it is a small boat trailer with one of those flat 4 wiring harness. I am trying to wire one of those in directly to the existing wires that where installed to the adapter. I am having a hard time figuring out which wire goes where.

I am pretty sure the green and tan wires are the left and right turn signals. Then I am torn between the larger Blue or Black wire as being the ground. And then I suspect the Black/red wire is the running light, but it could also be the Blue/red wire as well. I have tried to twist the wires together to do some checking before I due a more permanent job and heat wrap them.

Does anybody know where to go to find which wire means what on a factory installed wiring harness?

miso_ohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

I know they are not ZJ's, but I imagine the WJ's would be pretty much the same in this regard. Take a look here

HTH
Unread 06-04-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
miso_ohio

Great that helps alot in case anybody is wondering it goes like this

Blue/Red = Running lights
Black= Ground
Green= Left Turn
Tan=Right Turn

I may have the turns backwards I have some more testing to do. I also discovered fuse #1 by the pasenger side of the console panel was blown, that is why none of it would work at all with all of my testing.

The original problem is still there though, it seems the brake lights and the flashers work fine, but the turn signal will flash both lights instead of one or the other. Also the running lights at night will not come on (this is all in the trailor only). I am noticing that one of the bulbs on the trailers may be out, could this cause this problem? Also the Red/Black wire was completely rotted through with bluish green corrosive, I presently have it going no where, on the diagram it has it listed as "Fused B(+)", should I have it crossed over with another wire?

I have gone through the rest of the fuses they look fine, as long as I have got it this far I can tow during the day and use hand signals. But it would be nice to be able to tow at night as well. This is kind of confusing, I am use to running everything off of the tail lights, but it looks like the Cherokees don't work that way (sucks to diagnose).
miso_ohio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.