Track Bar "walk" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Track Bar "walk"

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

Track Bar "walk"

I have the IRO 6.5" lift with their trac bar. I just recently noticed a weird knocking and vibration that i can feel in the floor board and i also hear a loud annoying squeak during my turns.

I got under the jeep and had someone turn the wheel, the frame mount side of the track bar is the issue. The trac bar walks back and forth (so to speak) i tried to tighten the ever living crap out of the bolt but it still moves fore and aft.

Any ideas??

Unread 06-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Sounds like you mean the actual bolt that goes through the TB and not the mount ?
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Is the nut bottomed out on the threads? My BDS TB is doing that and I think I'll have to get it taken in and the threads lengthened since I still have a little bit of play in it.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
MACHJGC
2004 WJ 

a common issue on lifted WJ's is the axle track bar mount oval's out. This may have happened to the frame side mount as well. A fix for that is to weld a hardened washer or metal plate to the outsides of the mount.

I personally had the same problem, so i welded a hardened washer to the mounts and enlarged both mounting holes to 9/16" and used grade 8 bolts and hardware. If you upgrade size of hardware, you will probably have to ream the metal bushing out. What I did was take my stock track bar, and removed the metal bushings. The OEM ones have thicker wall and allow to ream to a 9/16" without losing rigidity. I then installed these into my JKS adjustable track bar, which required reaming of the rubber isolator ( I had KOR's hardened ones) So far, everything works great.
Bumper & Roof Lights
MACHJGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Greengc4x4
1998 ZJ 

KOR ftw. I never had issues with mine
Greengc4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

Very helpful and informative. Looks like I will be spending some time fixing this issue. Thank you again
Unread 06-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #7
MACHJGC
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACHJGC View Post
a common issue on lifted WJ's is the axle track bar mount oval's out. This may have happened to the frame side mount as well. A fix for that is to weld a hardened washer or metal plate to the outsides of the mount.

I personally had the same problem, so i welded a hardened washer to the mounts and enlarged both mounting holes to 9/16" and used grade 8 bolts and hardware. If you upgrade size of hardware, you will probably have to ream the metal bushing out. What I did was take my stock track bar, and removed the metal bushings. The OEM ones have thicker wall and allow to ream to a 9/16" without losing rigidity. I then installed these into my JKS adjustable track bar, which required reaming of the rubber isolator ( I had KOR's hardened ones) So far, everything works great.
I apologize but I made a mistake.... I actually used the metal bushings I had left over from my IRO fixed length track bar. If I recall correctly, I had noticed that the OEM metal bushings were a little smaller in outside diameter to be used.
Bumper & Roof Lights
MACHJGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #8
bigjeep39
2004 WJ 

Well i figured, i got mine all taken a part. the bushing is the same diameter is the bolt. So where there is slack i do not know. This is aggravating. I even tried to lube the ever living crap out of it and still ::Squeek::

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.