Track bar rubbing on tie rod - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Track bar rubbing on tie rod

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Track bar rubbing on tie rod

Hi guys,

My tie rod sits extremely close to my track bar and rubs against my track bar when steering left at full lock which causes the left front end to raise slightly. Is there a steering setup that will give me more clearance maybe by pushing the tie rod forward an inch? i have looked at IROs OTK setup but i don't think that will work as the bend in the track bar is in the way.

Ill include a picture to give you guys a better idea as my setup is for a ZG.

Thanks, Lee

20130623_180047-800x600-.jpg  
LeeZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Anyone have any ideas?
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like maybe the pinion angle is pretty extreme. Wouldn't that cause the bars to come loser together? Maybe adjustable control arms would help.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

I did think about adjustable control arms, and i am planning on getting some, but to me the pinion angles look ok. I think its just because the IRO bar is about 3x bigger than the stock bar thats causing me problems.

I did a search and found a rugged ridge upgrade which i thought may give me some more room but then read somewhere on here that its for offroad use only.

Alot of people seem to recommend the currie setup, would either of these actually change much? If i could get a RHD version that is..

Or i could put a bend in the tie rod and realign, any thoughts?

Thanks, Lee
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Well, I have the IRO double sheer and I have no issues with it. I'm at 2" of lift.
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
LeeZJ
1996 ZJ 

Thats understandable, but being a ZG model my track bar and steering is mounted opposite to yours so my bar has to bend around the diff taking up more space.

Lee
Unread 06-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeZJ View Post
Thats understandable, but being a ZG model my track bar and steering is mounted opposite to yours so my bar has to bend around the diff taking up more space.

Lee
It's not my fault it was installed backwards.

Seriously though, I didn't think of that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.