Track Bar Ends...Is This Bad? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Track Bar Ends...Is This Bad?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #16
kachink
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
I had a power steering leak, looked similar to that. I cleaned it all off, check the bushings. no problems for me
x2

Leak at the ps pump (on the v8 anyway) finds it's way down to that exact spot.

kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
tucsonzj
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by kachink View Post
x2

Leak at the ps pump (on the v8 anyway) finds it's way down to that exact spot.
and everything else
__________________
"washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder."
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
Marcos
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 736
I've used the Valvoline synthetic grease (the dark bluish-gray one) to lube chassis joints, and over time it seems to separate into a thin oil and a thick paste, even just sitting in storage. The oil portion tends to seep out of the joints.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
zlieberman
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 32
joints might not be bad at all

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that just because there is grease on the joints doesn't mean that it is bad. This is just an indication that who ever has been greasing these joints as been careless and doesn't wipe it off after the old grease is pushed out. You have to actually feel the joints to see if they are loose.
zlieberman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
billyblooshoes
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hope, PA
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlieberman View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned that just because there is grease on the joints doesn't mean that it is bad. This is just an indication that who ever has been greasing these joints as been careless and doesn't wipe it off after the old grease is pushed out. You have to actually feel the joints to see if they are loose.
so i wiped off all the excess grease today as best i could. what type of movement exactly am i looking for to determine if something is bad? i grabbed onto the drag link rod towards the center and firmly twisted it, and there was some movement. not sure once again if this is normal or an issue.

on a good note, i checked the track bar and it seems nice and firm.

the other thing i noticed is that the tie rod ends on the ends of the drag link seem to be somewhat compressed. once again, not sure if its normal or bad.

if anyone has pics of what everything should look like, that would help.
billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #21
billyblooshoes
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hope, PA
Posts: 77
not my video, but i just found this and it shows what i found today. the movement wasnt as drastic but same deal.

billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
tucsonzj
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 2,208
if that's the case you need to replace the bushings for sure, maybe more.
__________________
"washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder."
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #23
zlieberman
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 32
misleading

That is a terribly misleading video. The tie rod can twist like it shows, and is supposed to. There is ball joints on both ends, all your doing is moving the ball joint in its normal range of motion.
What you need to do is take the weight off the tires, grab the tires and firmly try to steer them side to side in short movements while having someone else feel the tie rod end joint for play. The other way to do this is to leave it on the ground and have a partner turn the steering wheel side to side, once again in short movements and feel if there is any play in the joints.
The boots will appear compressed, that is also normal.
zlieberman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
billyblooshoes
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hope, PA
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlieberman
That is a terribly misleading video. The tie rod can twist like it shows, and is supposed to. There is ball joints on both ends, all your doing is moving the ball joint in its normal range of motion.
What you need to do is take the weight off the tires, grab the tires and firmly try to steer them side to side in short movements while having someone else feel the tie rod end joint for play. The other way to do this is to leave it on the ground and have a partner turn the steering wheel side to side, once again in short movements and feel if there is any play in the joints.
The boots will appear compressed, that is also normal.
Oh great thanks for clarification. I appreciate it. I I was under the impression that range of motion was bad.
billyblooshoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.