Track bar brackets & adjustments - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Track bar brackets & adjustments

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineArtec JK Under Armor Bellypan

Unread 07-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Track bar brackets & adjustments

My new jeep has a 4.5" Rough Country spring lift and the P/O installed a rear drop bracket. After doing some REAL wheeling for the first time yesterday and hearing some nasty sounds I got looking and see that the track bar is rubbing on the upper control arm mount. I also noticed the other day that the rear axle is noticeably shifted toward the driver's side. The driver's side tire sticks out past my mud flaps, and the passenger's is barely covered. That's making me think that the stock track bar + The bracket is making it too long.

Other issues that are stemming from the axle being off center are the rear passenger's shock is rubbing on my exhaust, and my rear passenger's tire rubs on the coil spring while flexing. Driver's side does not.

At 4.5" it seems as though the stock track bar (with no bracket) would be too short. My rubbing issues would be solved but it would still be noticeably off center, just the opposite way.

Also has me wondering about the front.

So with a fully adjustable track bar, how do you dial it in? Do most people just eyeball it, or is there a certain place you take measurements? When I installed my adjustable in my other jeep I found the center point of my bumper, and measured from the same point on either side in a triangular fashion and used math to determine how the axle was situated. But I can't imagine the average person doing that and it was kind of tedious..

Unread 07-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

On a flat surface, disconnect both ends, bounce and shake the rear of the Jeep around and it will find its center. Install the trackbar.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.