Track bar bolt and flag nut - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-27-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
dodgemahally
1995 ZJ 

Track bar bolt and flag nut

Is there a source for a bolt and flag nut for 95 ZJ? Should I just put a grade 8 in there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-27-2016, 11:06 PM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Why not reuse the existing parts?

If new parts are needed, then why not just get Mopar OEM replacement?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 05:17 AM
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Mine broke when I was replacing my track bar. The bolt had rusted inside the flag nut and snapped when trying to loosen. Tough time trimming it down enough to get the flag nut out of there.

I bought a bolt and nut from McMaster, and used some washers. You can use a regular nut and just slip a crescent wrench up in there to hold it while tightening.

I forget the size/specs, but since it's suspension get the strongest grade you can.

Edit: I believe it was M10 x 1.5 x 50mm

post #4 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 06:10 AM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

post #5 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
dodgemahally
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
Why not reuse the existing parts?

If new parts are needed, then why not just get Mopar OEM replacement?

Wish I could Wingless. The whole mess is rusted beyond belief. This was a Michigan Jeep before I got it.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
dodgemahally
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
Mine broke when I was replacing my track bar. The bolt had rusted inside the flag nut and snapped when trying to loosen. Tough time trimming it down enough to get the flag nut out of there.

I bought a bolt and nut from McMaster, and used some washers. You can use a regular nut and just slip a crescent wrench up in there to hold it while tightening.

I forget the size/specs, but since it's suspension get the strongest grade you can.

Edit: I believe it was M10 x 1.5 x 50mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Looks great but kinda pricey.....I think I'll try a regular bolt and nut(grade 8). What is the reason for that flag nut thing-a-ma-jig?
post #7 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 08:39 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemahally View Post

Looks great but kinda pricey.....I think I'll try a regular bolt and nut(grade 8). What is the reason for that flag nut thing-a-ma-jig?
Go to the junk yard and get a few more. There are thousands of ZJ's in the junkyards all over the place.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 08:48 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Ease of installation and removal.

There's no reason not to use a SAE grade 8 bolt and nut in there instead of the OEM metric m10 class 10.9 - one suggestion thoughm drill the trackbar bushing and bracjet holes to the nnext larger SAE size (7/16") from the 10mm.

If I were hou, I'd go with a flanged nut and bolt. If you can't easily find them, use washers.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #9 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 09:06 AM
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Wish I could Wingless. The whole mess is rusted beyond belief. This was a Michigan Jeep before I got it.

I had a Michigan jeep back in 98 and it was a 97.. Rusting started popping out everywhere. Got rid of that real quick. You couldn't even read the paint code.
post #10 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 09:19 AM
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
There is little relief to access a regular nut, flag nut makes it easy but not required.

Hey it's on sale! It's for his trackbar setup anyway so its more hardware than you would need and you'd have to get the proper bushing sleeve for the axle side.
post #11 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome View Post
Hey it's on sale! It's for his trackbar setup anyway so its more hardware than you would need and you'd have to get the proper bushing sleeve for the axle side.
Actually that sale price isn't bad HL if you consider the price of OE.

Even though my flag nut was rusted terribly I was able to salvage it in using lots of rust cutter and probably heat to remove it. But in being the first time in removing the bolt I didn't know what I was doing and removed it with tension still on the track bar.

Guess I should have noticed the axle track bar bracket hole was stripping the threads right off of the bolt as it came out at an angle. Expensive lesson learned and just the bolt was $18 at the dealer with a 25% 'cuz' discount.

Then I couldn't get the track bar lined up to put the new bolt through the bracket/hole. That's when Polka came along telling me to turn the steering wheel with tires slightly on the ground to let the unibody do the work and problem solved!

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

&
post #12 of 18 Old 10-28-2016, 04:26 PM
AVR2
2002 WJ 

I picked up a new OEM bolt and flag nut before I removed my track bar for the first time. Turned out not to be necessary at all, but I reinstalled using the new ones and kept the old ones as spares.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-29-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
dodgemahally
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
I had a Michigan jeep back in 98 and it was a 97.. Rusting started popping out everywhere. Got rid of that real quick. You couldn't even read the paint code.
So you know what I'm up against......I brought this ZJ back from the dead after it sat 7 years. It's a real zombie. I have questioned my sanity many times but for some reason I fell in love with this thing. Thanks go out to the folks on this forum for all the help that have make this awakening possible.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-29-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
dodgemahally
1995 ZJ 

One other idea I got from somewhere is to weld washers to the bracket to mitigate the hole wallowing process. Do you all concur on this idea?
post #15 of 18 Old 10-29-2016, 09:50 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
One other idea I got from somewhere is to weld washers to the bracket to mitigate the hole wallowing process. Do you all concur on this idea?
Yes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.