Track bar bolt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Track bar bolt

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 10-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

Track bar bolt

Does anyone have a source for the front track bar bolt that goes to the axle side. The PO replaced mine with a grade 5 M8 bolt for some strange reason and I cant seem to dig up a replacement. I have tried all the local hardware and bolt places but no luck, apparently its an odd bolt. Just got back from the junkyard and all the ones there were rusted to the jeeps.. so I'm all out of luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want my jeep back!

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

if you can get the flag bolt off stock jeep you can order the bolt from Chrysler. I've done it and it cost 18$
I just pulled a bunch at pnp. much easier.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

For the 1993 ZJ, the PN for the bolt is 6502 554. If you want the flag nut as well, it's 6506 264AA.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

While we are here..... My rear track bar was clunking so I bought a urethane bushing kit but the metal sleeve is looser than the OEM. So I just tightened the crap out of the OEM bolt.

This happened to anyone else?
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for those part numbers! I think I will have to bite the bullet and order the bolt. $28 for a nut and bolt makes me cringe, but my local pnp is fresh out of zjs and the other junk yards like to conveniently put all the cars in the dirt without wheels on, making pulling a bolt from the bottom of the axle somewhat difficult
jbsj33p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Don't you have a shovel to dig a tunnel under them? Lol.

Yeah, I made the $18 mistake in not taking the tension off of the track bar before removing the bolt and stripped the threads right off of it while removing. Then I couldn't get the track bar hole aligned to install the new bolt. Nice to have some knowledgeable people around here to offer some real good tips!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/t...-bolt-1367135/

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

How do you take the tension off the bolt? Just jack the axle up a bit? Or pop the balljoint at the upper end of the bar first?
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

The trick for taking the tension off the track bar bolt or aligning the bolt hole was mentioned in the link/thread I posted. You turn the steering wheel with the front wheels/tires on the ground and let the unibody twist/do the work while it takes the tension off of it.

This is where a helper would come in real handy to move the steering wheel while you remove/install the bolt. Since I didn't have one for aligning the bolt holes on bolt install I just turned the steering wheel a little w/o it running then put bungees on the steering wheel to the shifter to hold it in place when I had it exactly lined up. I did have the body/axle jacked up some to create some room but really don't think you need it jacked up at all to do this.

Unread 10-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

Will this bolt and nut also be found in an xj? Pnp has xjs but no zjs.
My track bar bolt just came right out, but that might have something to do with the fact it was an M8 and not an M10. I'm still amazed how it wasn't broken.
jbsj33p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

XJ/TJ/ZJ/MJ yes all the same bolt.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Dukcaln

took mine off today cause it was popping when turning. reinstalled the bushing and bolt. All fixed. but on a side note my buddy had an extra bolt. PM me you address and I will ship to you if you want.
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
JeepForever

I almost bought the bolt from the dealer because I wanted a new bolt and flag nut since I had to saw mine off to get it out. I found out that Chrysler didn't have the flag nut (even though the description said it was a flag nut). I went to the hardware store (Ace Hardware and MENARDS near me each have a good selection). I got a metric bolt and matching nut an it worked great. The bolt was a M10 (10mm) x 70mm (grade 10.9, I think; this is metric's version of Grade 8 or better). In hindsight I should have tried to recover the flag nut but thought about that after I sawed the nut off to weld a new flag nut. The original flag nut has a coarse thread and I bought the finer thread, but it worked OK for me since I bought a matching nut.

Last edited by JeepForever; 10-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: Changed bolt size from "I'm not sure" to "M10 x 70mm"
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #13
Dukcaln

I talked to my buddy about the extra bolt, he said he got it at ace. Perfect match. I didn't think about asking him the size. He just took it in and they matched it. Our local ace is crazy stocked piled with stuff. Its a great store
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #14
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

In completing various searches it looks like the TB bolt size is a M10 x 1.75 x 70mm, grade 8 or higher, if you want to avoid the dealer.

Unread 10-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #15
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Are you sure that M10x1.75 Uniblurb? That's not one of the standard M10 threads. http://mdmetric.com/tech/M-thead%20600.htm
Not saying that Jeep didn't do something crazy but M10x1.5 is as coarse as they usually go.

The equivalent of grade 8 in metric is usually grade 10.9 but metric bolts have many more grades than the usual standard grades http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/st...es-d_1428.html

Grade 10.9 is easy enough to find that I usually go with that. Grade 12.9 is harder to come by. FWIW the pinion flange bolts on a Ford 8.8 are grade 12.9 12-point heads, stock.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.