TPS question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > TPS question

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

TPS question

So ive searched and searched and the one thing i hate about the search function is when you type in a question or word. A thread pops up and if it has a million pages you have to read through to find your word/question. SO any ways, I have a 1996 4.0 with 136k miles. was reading around and thought i would clean my throttle body today. It was extremely dirty so got that cleaned as good as possible. I took out the IAC and it was grungy dirty/looked burned/ charred. I tried to clean it and said F--k it and bought a new one. Now my question is i broke a T-15 and a T-20 and started bending another T-20 on the TPS and i just couldnt get it to bust loose. The homie at vato-zone asked if it was on a jeep and i said yes. He laughed and said yes this is a problem. I tried spraying TB cleaner on the head/bolt area that did nothing. Should i try PB blaster ( what exactly is this anyways, is it called PB blaster?) Do i really need to clean my TPS? i would like a little more pick up with my 4.0. I know its not a race car but it seems to not have the power it did when i first got it. Thank you and be as mean as you can cuz this is my first time creating a post.

johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

You cant clean a TPS, its a sealed sensor. Just clean the throttle body really well, and make sure to reset the PCM when you re install it so it can re learn the idle. You do this by removing the positive battery cable for 30 minutes.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridesjeeps View Post
Do i really need to clean my TPS? i would like a little more pick up with my 4.0. I know its not a race car but it seems to not have the power it did when i first got it. Thank you and be as mean as you can cuz this is my first time creating a post.
PB Blaster is simply a good spray on penetrating oil. It is for loosening stuck bolts and nuts etc.

You cannot clean a TPS. It is sealed (sort of) and it will ruin it to get it soaked with anything. Water included. Leave it alone or replace it with a new one if you can get the bolts loose.

Best to have the throttle body off and on a bench if the bolts are that tight.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
You cant clean a TPS, its a sealed sensor. Just clean the throttle body really well, and make sure to reset the PCM when you re install it so it can re learn the idle. You do this by removing the positive battery cable for 30 minutes.
Thanks, makes sense about the TPS being sealed then. I was just unsure cuz people have talked about cleaning them. I couldnt get it off anyways so i'll just leave it. I think i may have noticed slight pick up when i drove it after words. And thanks for telling me to reset the PCM, i thought it was idling alittle wierd so i will go unplug it right now. About how long should the computer take to re-learn the idle?
Unread 06-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Once you have reset it the way to re learn the IAC setting(since you replaced it) is for you to drive it around. So after 30 minutes of being disconnected, hop in and take a drive. it might take a few days to fully come back to normal, unless you drive it a long distance each day.

Unread 06-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

awesome... thanks guys!
Unread 06-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

So another question: Hopefully someone reads this as it still has to do with my throttle body i did not want to start another thread. I did search and i am just not a fan of the search function (for the most part). So with my throttle being cleaner i now have a better throttle response, but now i want more! I saw BBK performance makes a upgraded TB that is bored out to 63mm i believe and stock is 60 tapered down to 58mm? Will this TB allow a 7-12 HP increase as they claim? is it worth the $230? Also while im on a roll, i will be buying genrights hood louvres too. Do these let water in? and i take it if people are running these if it does let water is it just a small amount? is it just about not mounting these over the air intake and/or wires and electrical? Thanks again guys.
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

The throttle body wont yield much of anything on a stock 4.0. The intake manifold is very restrictive, as well as the exhaust. The best thing you can do(and its cheap) is to do the 99+ intake manifold swap. search it(i cant do all your work) but basically you get an intake manifold from a WJ 4.0 and install it. While your doing that you can also buy a decent exhaust header and install it too. the WJ manifold and a free flowing exhaust are going to make a fairly noticeable difference.

As for the hood louvers, i believe they let water in but they have some sort of drip trays underneath

Unread 06-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Oh yea forgot about the wj swap. I'll research that. I have a upgraded cat back exhaust already. And after market intake, just gotta upgrade the stuff in between. My cats rattling too, so probably time for a new one of those.
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Magnaflow hi flow cats are $90 on summit, and a good header will run anywhere from $500 and up, but the WJ intake and a good header and that 4.0 will really breathe.

then once you have that and get power hungry, you can get some better injectors and an SCT tune

Unread 06-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
jayeepee
1998 ZJ 

the manifold great idea! try doing your basic tune up with 136k you prob need it? more spark more power change your ign. coil (upgrade it)
jayeepee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #12
jayeepee
1998 ZJ 

at 138k my 4.0 popped! then i build 4.5 stroker ALL kinds of power there!!!!
jayeepee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Well in the last maybe 2k miles. tops, i drive it maybe 20 miles a day. Ive done spark plugs, wires, distributor cap. Just did the fuel filter ( that made a HUGE difference). Just cleaned the TB and IAC. Need to do fluid changes all over. Im now thinking high flow cat, wj intake swap, then if i do the TB with the bigger bore. I should be happy (for awhile). And i probably need to do the timing chain.
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
wwkvd

Just a note on aftermarket TPS (BWD brand at least) they are not sealed, gave my engine a quick wash and the idle was all over the place, connected laptop to ODB and saw TPS was at 82% at an idle!!.

Pulled TPS, turned upside down and water poured out!, had lifetime warranty so got it repl. but sealed with epoxy before installing it.

Just changed to '703' injectors (4 holes), WOW what a difference in the drive-ability and response, so much better and the idle is smooth as glass.

Got them from www.FuelInjectorConnection.com for $130 pn FICC64, easy to install (13 year old o-rings were stubborn)
wwkvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkvd View Post
Just a note on aftermarket TPS (BWD brand at least) they are not sealed, gave my engine a quick wash and the idle was all over the place, connected laptop to ODB and saw TPS was at 82% at an idle!!.

Pulled TPS, turned upside down and water poured out!, had lifetime warranty so got it repl. but sealed with epoxy before installing it.

Just changed to '703' injectors (4 holes), WOW what a difference in the drive-ability and response, so much better and the idle is smooth as glass.

Got them from www.FuelInjectorConnection.com for $130 pn FICC64, easy to install (13 year old o-rings were stubborn)
What is meant by sealed is that you are not supposed to be able to disassemble it for any service or modifications. Water will certainly intrude on a TPS and can ruin it.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.