Toyo Tires ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Toyo Tires ?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-14-2002, 06:56 PM   #1
unreal33

Toyo Tires ?

Ok, its time for some new tires, I'm sick of my firestone 215s { and I don't trust them } even though their not recalled... Anyway I pretty much had my selection down to the Michelin LTX 235/75 15s, Now I'm leaning towards Toyo Open Country AT 235s... they seem like a good all season tire, with good tred life and a quite on the highway. Now I'm not an Avid Off Roader.. But I need tires to last all year round, handle the mud and snow, & ride smooth. Any opinions of either tires? or any suggestions ? Thanks guys

unreal33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2002, 01:29 PM   #2
dkostis

i have an 95 grand cherokee with 255 55 r18 toyo proxes st tires. i purchased them for 131 a tire, which out prices all of its competitors. it is a mean looking street tire and i have never had any problems, nor heard of anyone having any problems with them. they are quiet and hook up nicely on pavement, i would definitely recommend them.
dkostis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2002, 06:38 PM   #3
unreal33

What kind of lift are you running? suspension, or body? I've been thinking about lifting my jeep a few inches, problem is i'm short on dough.
Unread 08-28-2002, 11:33 PM   #4
gbgary

Quote:
Originally posted by dkostis
i have an 95 grand cherokee with 255 55 r18 toyo proxes st tires. i purchased them for 131 a tire, which out prices all of its competitors. it is a mean looking street tire and i have never had any problems, nor heard of anyone having any problems with them. they are quiet and hook up nicely on pavement, i would definitely recommend them.
i have the same tires and although they look cool and handle well, i think they are very noisey. so much so that i'm giving them back and getting falken S/TZ 04s. quiet is supposed to be one of their major strong points.

street jeep and ranger pics...

Last edited by gbgary; 08-29-2002 at 07:28 PM..
gbgary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2002, 07:34 AM   #5
unreal33

Just got my Toyo open country a/ts, Sweet Tire. The 235s added an inch or two to the overall hight, Very smooth riding. Not very loud at all on the highway. - wet traction is excelent - i'll keep you guys posted on the tires snow handling. -Later
Unread 09-04-2002, 10:20 PM   #6
fu3120

Quote:
Just got my Toyo open country a/ts, Sweet Tire. The 235s added an inch or two to the overall hight, Very smooth riding. Not very loud at all on the highway. - wet traction is excelent - i'll keep you guys posted on the tires snow handling. -Later
I've been running these for ~22k. Have been great for highway/o.k. for off-road. Wet traction is o.k. The little snow we had earlier in the year they did well. Treadwear has been good even though I am hard on tires.
Unread 12-16-2002, 06:57 PM   #7
55-willys

i put some toyo,s on my 3/4 ton chevy. there great. couple friends of mine, that drove big rigs, said there the only tires they would run on the front of there trucks.
Unread 12-26-2002, 10:31 AM   #8
unreal33

My Toyos

Just a quick story for you guys. Last snow storm we had left us with about three inches, my dad had just bought an old beater f-150 to plow our driveway. He had been backing up the hill when his truck stalled out, so I backed my ZJ up & tied a line between the hitch and his bumper. With a little salt to cut though the ice we were on our way, I pulled his dead truck right to the top, then continued over the lawn (also uphill) in even more snow, never lost traction. These tires have been great so far, tread wear on mine have also been excelent w/ about 7-8k.
Unread 12-27-2002, 09:10 AM   #9
Stocker

The Wranglers that came on our 95 GC lasted about 31kmi and had begun to squeal a lot when cornering. Replaced them with Michelin LTXs (235/75-15) and now have about 43kmi on those and they still have lots of tread left. They are fairly quiet, decent ride, pretty good in snow, and not very good in heavy rain (aquaplanes too easily). IMO, a very good all-around highway tire with a long life. YMMV
Unread 12-27-2002, 04:14 PM   #10
unreal33

how much did those tires cost?
Unread 12-27-2002, 05:00 PM   #11
Stocker

My Michelin LTXs?

Quote:
Originally posted by unreal33
how much did those tires cost?
Been awhile since I got them- July 98 to be exact. They were $95 and change each, plus mounting, balancing, alignment, and tax. $460 out the door.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.