towing on a zj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > towing on a zj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 05-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteylovesbeer View Post
@ sebian- turn off the OD? is that possible with a 96 ZJ with 4.0, im new to these but i dont see any button that they usually have to do that, all it has is OD,2,1. thanks

Unread 05-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #17
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

does any one read the owners manual anymore

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think that all the time when I read these threads. sit down read the owners manual and learn a few things
Cmense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmense
I think that all the time when I read these threads. sit down read the owners manual and learn a few things
Only thing is that the owners manuals were for a new Jeep. I wouldn't put my 200k Jeep up to a 5000 lbs trailer. Personally.
But yet reading would help a lot.
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #20
Bale
1998 ZJ 

I occasionally pull a double horse trailer (around 3,700 lbs) with my 4L. Steady as a rock, but just adequate power. Keeps up with traffic most of the time.

It is approved for 7,700 lbs trailers over here, by the way. Have no idea how those limits are determoden.
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:06 AM   #21
BigClay
1998 TJ Wrangler 

A 1/2 ton truck will be a much better option than a ZJ. Factory ZJ brakes can barely stop itself, much less try to stop a trailer that doesn't have brakes. I pulled a small u-haul with my jeep when it was stock, it did OK, and the loaded trailer wasn't more than 1500 lbs. Coil sprung, unibody vehicles were not meant to tow.
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
V8jeepinVA
too much to list

1998 ZJ 

I towed my yj with my zj no problems had brake controller and its a 5.9

forumrunner_20120515_105053.jpg

But this seemed better to haul up to Pennsylvania last year

forumrunner_20120515_105212.jpg

But aslong as your smart keep toung weight down and a level trailer easy throttle and enough braking plus od off and staying under limit youll be fine. Dose put stress on drivetrain so if its already loose expect a possible break but always hope for the best
V8jeepinVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Talking about towing a trailer !
Check out these cool ideas !!
Mini Harbor Freight (type) Trailer Ultimate Build-Up Thread

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #24
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

I've used my ZJ with 4.0L and 2wd to boot to pull a 12 hole dog trailer 3 times so far. The trailer isn't that heavy, about 1200lbs or a bit more and even full of dogs not much more than 1600lbs or so. It also has trailer brakes and it rolls right on down the road and stops without a problem as long as I take the proper precautions.
greyhnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
neonhomer
1996 ZJ 

I used my I6 ZJ to pull a 20' trailer w/ my friend's 94 V8 ZJ out of the woods. Had to drag it through the dirt and sand.

Mind you, I had to be in 4Lo, and wasn't in a big hurry. Once we got out to the road, the trailer's owner used his Dodge 2500 diesel to take the ZJ back to it's home shed... Meanwhile, I treated my ZJ to a tranny and transfer case fluid change.
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.0L/42RE/242 - Rebuilt motor w/ Comp cam (4/12), 3.5" Junkyard F>R lift, 31x10.5.x15 M/T's, Spartan Locked D44a, TC & tank skids, F&R adj trackbars, V8 steering arms
Galaxy DX99V CB, 102" SS Whip, Yaesu FT-2900R 2m, Larsen 1/4w mag mount, Sony HU, Massive 3way - F Door, Pioneer 3way - R Doors, MB Quart ONX304 Subs (x2), Lanzar 1600w amp.

"No Matter Where You Go... There You Are."
"Oh me oh my a lovely day is dawning. Oh what a joy I didn't wake up dead. So I can go to work and then resume my yawning, and get my sleep on site instead of in my bed" - Daria Morgendorffer (with my twist)
neonhomer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #26
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

I used the ZJ a couple of times, since I got it, with my 6X10 trailer, no problems except with the trailer tire.
But I had a spare
tire2.jpg  

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.