towing on a zj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > towing on a zj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

towing on a zj

Just wondering if any of you guys tow with your zj. my buddy needs help taking scrap wood and stumps to the compost dump and I have a fourwheel 50 ft trailer available to use. good idea/bad idea? Somethings telling me its not a good idea because my sway bars are disconnected and I know my i6 only has a 5000lbs towing limit.

Cmense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

With disconnected sway bars I would not do it. If they were connected I would. Jeeps are pretty decent at towing, just make sure to turn off the OD, and you would be fine. Provided you don't go to much over the 5000 lb limit.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

I managed to tow a chevy love which was also towing a trailer with mine. Pulled like a champ. My sway bar was connected, though.
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
white_lexie
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmense View Post
Just wondering if any of you guys tow with your zj. my buddy needs help taking scrap wood and stumps to the compost dump and I have a fourwheel 50 ft trailer available to use. good idea/bad idea? Somethings telling me its not a good idea because my sway bars are disconnected and I know my i6 only has a 5000lbs towing limit.
You have found a bumper pull 50' trailer? I wouldnt pull a 50' bumper pull with a 1 ton diesel, much less a zj that only weighs a couple tons. If a 50' bumper pull does exist it will weigh way more than your zj would ever think about towing.
white_lexie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

I have a 18' dove tale. And my v8 zj had some issues pulling my I6 zj home.
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

Good lord a 37 foot fifth wheel camper will squat a 1 ton diesel, I can't begin to imagine a 50ft bumper pull trailer let alone loaded with stumps would do to a poor little zj. Especially with the sway bars disconnected. If you do it, make sure to get pics/vids lol.
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #7
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I assume he meant 15 foot trailer?

I don't see what sway bars have to do with anything. Its the brakes you need to worry about. Does your ZJ have a controller for the electronic trailer brakes?

You did not say anything about the expected tongue weight, how far you plan to tow, if the roads are hilly, and so forth.

On relatively flat terrain without much traffic you could tow 5k-6k pounds (including the trailer itself) for short distances; say 10 miles or so. More than that and you should be using a real tow rig.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #8
ajmorell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post

I don't see what sway bars have to do with anything. Its the brakes you need to worry about. Does your ZJ have a controller for the electronic trailer brakes?

You did not say anything about the expected tongue weight, how far you plan to tow, if the roads are hilly, and so forth.

On relatively flat terrain without much traffic you could tow 5k-6k pounds (including the trailer itself) for short distances; say 10 miles or so. More than that and you should be using a real tow rig.
All of this
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead

Yeah I ment 15 ft sorry. I dont have a electronic trailer brake hookup and I didnt even think about that. The compost is about 12 miles away and the terrain is more hills then anything. All in all maybe I should use a pickup instead of the jeep just in case. but now im curious at what you guys think about towing on unibody vs pickup chassis and how much youve seen a jeep tow before
Unread 05-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Just for reference, I towed a U-Haul 6'x12' trailer from MN to TX, fully loaded and a loaded cabin. Approx 1200 miles, with no issues. Except for the fact I noticed that my fan clutch was toast, and unable to use the AC due to that. Heavy cross winds, and big rigs made the trailer sway a little bit, so having a properly working suspension would definitely be to your advantage. And the drive was anything but straight roads, there were plenty of hills that I had to go up and down.

As for towing that 12 miles, as long as you keep the OD off, and the weight around the 5000 lb area, you should be ok. But I would highly recommend having the sway bars connected, and yes, braking takes considerably longer with all the added weight.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #11
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

I've personally always been taught pickups were made for hauling and everything else was meant for people. IMO I wouldn't do a lot of hauling with mine. What you described the second time though is definately within the capability of it. Maybe past manufacturers reccommendations, but 12 miles, go easy, stop early, you will be A-ok.
Unread 05-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
Josef86
1996 ZJ 

My 5.2 ZJ towed my friend's '09 JK and gear on a 17 ft lowboy trailer alright. Towing setup included a class IV receiver and trailer brakes. The hills in San Antonio made for some work but after that it was smooth sailing to Houston.
Josef86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Towed the wood today without the sway bar links. Gave me new respect for the jeep. Btw sway bar disconnected didnt matter
forumrunner_20120513_203610.jpg  
Unread 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
whiteylovesbeer
2004 WJ 

@ sebian- turn off the OD? is that possible with a 96 ZJ with 4.0, im new to these but i dont see any button that they usually have to do that, all it has is OD,2,1. thanks
whiteylovesbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteylovesbeer View Post
@ sebian- turn off the OD? is that possible with a 96 ZJ with 4.0, im new to these but i dont see any button that they usually have to do that, all it has is OD,2,1. thanks
on the dash

Tags
towing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.