towing hitch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-14-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
towing hitch

... Any one got any advise on the ... Tow hitch for my 95 Jeep ZJ.. 4X4
WIFE & I are beginning to discuss a little travel time. I'm thinking pull the ZJ BEHIND THE 30 FT. 5TH WHEEL CAMPER.
.. WHO MAKES THE HITCH .. Cambell I guess.
...ANYONE Have the instructions on how it mounts.
.. There just doesn't seem to be much metal under the front of the 95 ZJ's.
... I'll be towing it behind a 2000 Dodge 2500 diesel truck.
Anything special I need to add to the DODGE.
Yes I now wish it was a 3500 dually.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 04:06 PM
mosey2001

I don't this is even legal in mist states. Beyond that who would create a hitch and with it the liability for such a setup. The hitch for the jeep however is available at campers world to tow a jeep behind your motor home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 04:12 PM
mosey2001

Ps this post is exactly why people complain about dodge transmissions. Yes it can pull it. No it was not designed for this. Start by selling the 5th wheel then the 3/4 ton truck. Now go buy a motor home or a 1 1/4 ton and a car hauler camper combo.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-15-2017, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
.. mosey 2001... I don't normally come back like this ... BUT .... But you have 17 post. OK I've pissed you off by now. Excuse me & I'll try & catch up with you & where your coming from. I'm Lost on your answer... But really .. Explain your Knowledge on this subject.
..It doesn't tell in your profile where your from. So you may be from a State that doesn't allow double tows. I was not aware of those states.
... We Cowboys here in TEXAS will hook onto anything. & from what I see on I20 I guess it's legal.
... I drive about 300 too 500 miles a day across Central TEXAS . I'm 68 years old & I'm also a farmer .. Born & Raised on the family heritage farm. I'm about to pass it onto the 6th Generation.
& For some more of my Knowledge of towing .. I worked for a Jeep & Dodge Diesel Stealership from about 10 to 12 years .. I was the main Service advisor. I think I quite about 2010. So I was there when my Jeep was being worked on & When My 2500 sold NEW to an old man I knew. He traded it in at 60K & I HAD A FRIEND BUY IT AT 60k ..& It was a sweet truck. He traded It in with a bad TRANS & AND a bad Injection put. I PICKED IT UP for a song.
.... So Yes I understand that the trans was a problem at times. But for WHAT the 47RE is ask to do IT'S REALLY A GOOD TRANS.
... NOW Not sure if I said but I do plan to completely rebuild my 47RE before I start the track. . To give you & Ideal of the cost. DODGE WANTED $4350.00 for a rebuilt trans plus the labor. I'll not be doing that.
... I still have friends at Dodge & I can put a rebuilt trans in it for about 2 grand . & I'm hoping less.
... Now onto the Hitch .. Camper world is about the highest place to buy a hitch ... I believe Campbell is the old time MFG of most trailer hitches. I'm a pretty good welder But I don't plan on building my on hitch. OH I taught welding for about 4 years in school. Years ago. & My Dad was welding foreman & built battle ships in WWII..
... & Just what motor do you think is in most of the small Motor Homes. Most gas & not up to my Cummins ...
... Motor Homes are Notorious for being overloaded..
... I was talking to several men that pull their campers with gas 1/2 tons .. One is using a CHEVY TRUCK PULLING A 36 FT BUMPER.
.... My hunting rig I pull to new Mexico each year is 32 ft ..
.... ......................
... So come back & Rip at me.. Let me know your Knowledge.. I really want to know why mine wont work.
I don't want to BREAK DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 06:03 AM
foxman97
1997 ZJ 

Garage
First step I would take would be to call the manufacturer of your 5th wheel and see if your model is even rated to pull a vehicle behind. Secondly I would check the state laws on double towing in every state you plan to visit. Every state is different but here in oklahoma you need a CDL to double tow and I believe the hitch on the trailer needs to be factory installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDaddyZJ View Post
in all of that i dont hear no, which by my logic and calculations actually means yes:2thumbsup:
post #6 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Sounds like I may just leave the Jeep at home. TAKE THE TRUCK OUT FROM UNDER THE TRAILER & go to town.
I'd like to own a motor Home but I just didn't want another vehicle to upkeep.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 10:04 AM
wingless
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

The common method for a structural mounting location on the front of the ZJ is to use the "frame tubes". That location is used for the front tow hooks. A reinforcement plate is slid into the front opening, the tow hook plate is on the exterior of that frame tube and bolts clamp that sandwich tightly together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 11:17 AM
mosey2001

I also drive 45-50k a year. I absolutely love dodge trucks but hear complaints all the time about the transmission. I currently have a 2005 hemi with 350k and a 2005 Durango with 250k. I was not trying to be rude but what you are doing as stated above is not legal in most states. I see people all the time complaining about these vehicles but it's after overloading for years. The second issue is breaking which people rarely address.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-16-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
.. I looked at a CAMPER TODAY iT'S A 32 FTr.. & It came with a factory hitch on the rear of the camper. He said OKLA & TEXAS allow if your not over 65 ft length.
& They were recommending a 3/4 ton. I think 65 ft is longer than I personally feel safe..
post #10 of 12 Old 08-17-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
Those 4 bolt holes are all I've seen under the Jeep to mount a Bumper or to Mount the tow hitch.
But that metal sure seems weak for the Tow hitch. I was hoping there was another spot up in there that I was not seeing.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-19-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
papitt
1995 ZJ 

Garage
.. I was at Harbor Freight today.. They had a hitch for your front bumper are. It was $65.00 maybe 69.00 Wow that seemed cheap tome .It was listed as a 5000lb rating .
post #12 of 12 Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 PM
mosey2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by papitt View Post
.. I was at Harbor Freight today.. They had a hitch for your front bumper are. It was $65.00 maybe 69.00 Wow that seemed cheap tome .It was listed as a 5000lb rating .
Funny. I have that same hitch on a 64 scout I tow around for hunting. The back brakes were locked up today. I was trying to rock it back and fourth today to break it loose. They are fine for pulling but the load pushing up against it bent the crap out of O ne of the arms. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Been fine other than that and obviously I was not using as intended. I don't know how you could get it to work on a zj. A buddy made a custom bumper for me and I had him weld the tabs onto it but a zj has no "real" bumper that you could do this with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.