Towing help pls! 96 jeep GC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing help pls! 96 jeep GC

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-07-2003, 12:44 PM   #1
rochsmama

Towing help pls! 96 jeep GC

I have just bought a travel trailer that I want to tow with my 96 Jeep, 4.0 I6. It meets the requirements but I am getting a lot of neg feedback from fellow airstream owners about pulling with a Jeep. I love my truck, bought it with 7K miles on it in 96 and feel it is too dependable to "give" away at current mkt prices. It now has 115K on it but I would drive from Ga to WA in a second in it.

I know I need to add the cooler to the tranny, what else will help? I am considering a weight distribution hitch that I believe will move some of the weight to the Jeep from the trailer. Sway bars are a must - what kind of $ am I looking at to regear it?

rochsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 03:14 PM   #2
whitevette

It would really help if you said the specs of the trailer. How much does it weigh? Single or double axle? Trailer brakes? etc.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
whitevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 04:36 PM   #3
rochsmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevette
It would really help if you said the specs of the trailer. How much does it weigh? Single or double axle? Trailer brakes? etc.

The trailer is a double axle, 4300 lbs approx, has brakes, 27' including tongue, it is an Airstream so is more aerodynamic than others. the hitch weight is fine as is the trailer weight according to my Jeep owners manual. Now I'm not sure about it though
rochsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2003, 05:55 PM   #4
whitevette

I would *personally* not tow that with a ZJ.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
Unread 10-08-2003, 02:43 PM   #5
5point9Limited
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevette
I would *personally* not tow that with a ZJ.
I agree! And My main reason is because of the overall size of the trailer. The Wheel base of the ZJ is pretty short compared to that of a tahoe of or full size pick up. You may feel the trailer take control of the "little Jeep that could" at times. That is an un-nerving feeling...trust me! I towed a 4,000 lb boat with a Cherokee XJ and it was a little scary sometimes...GET TRAILER BRAKES! Power should be there, allthough the 5.2 or 5.9 would be a HUGE bonus.
Goodyear MT/R 245-75-16, Mopar PCM ECU, 52mm APS Throttle Body AND spacer, Flowmaster Exhaust, Homebrew K&N Intake, Summit 3" exhaust cutout, OME steering stabilizer, 2.25" B. Boost, ProComp MX-6 adjustable shocks,
Up-Country springs.
5point9Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2003, 03:22 PM   #6
whitevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point9Limited
I agree! And My main reason is because of the overall size of the trailer.
Exactly! You hit a crosswind or evasive lane change with that long of a trailer and you're going to have a 'tail wagging the dog' situation. They're not fun and the aftermath usually isn't very pretty.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.