Towing... again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing... again

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-20-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Towing... again

Alright so my jeep has been down the past week from the last time i towed my boat to the lake and most of my devoted followers know the whole story of what happened there lol. I love my 96 zj so much that instead of just throwing it back together and selling it for something a bit more capable of towing, im wondering... After i have my trans rebuilt and beefed up a little in the next week, should i regear my 3.73s to 4.56s? Keep in mind im lifted 4.5" with 33s with the np249 and i plan on keeping that size tire. Would this setup be better for towing? my boat/trailer weighs in at what im guessing is around 3000lb.

Dubfire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Should be good. Make sure your cooling system is up to par, and make sure the trailer has its own brakes. Electric brakes are the best, surge brakes are better than nothing. Turn overdrive off when towing
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Yea i need to look into getting some electric brakes for this trailer. It has the plates for them originally. Maybe someone took them off idk. Im hoping its just the shift solenoid/gov pressure sensor pack thats wrong with the jeep now. But i should prob just have it rebuilt since it does have 200k+ on it. Dnuccio do you know how those 4.56 gears will affect my interstate driving (if at all)?
Unread 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

im looking to do 4.56s on 33s as well. It shouldn't be too bad on the highway. From what I hear 4.56s and 35in tires are like being back to stock tires with stock gears.
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Dubfire98
1996 ZJ 

Lets hope so lol. with the np249 i have to change front and rear diffs. Thats about $400 to swap from 3.73 to 4.56 if i do it myself. Im just not going to attempt a trans rebuild. Thats one thing i have no clue what im doing.
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubfire98
Lets hope so lol. with the np249 i have to change front and rear diffs. Thats about $400 to swap from 3.73 to 4.56 if i do it myself. Im just not going to attempt a trans rebuild. Thats one thing i have no clue what im doing.
A tranny I'd just get from a junk yard lol. I got my last one from there 2 years ago ::knock on wood:: Still goin strong! I even keep an extra under my deck shrink wrapped
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.