towing 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > towing 4.0

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-09-2003, 08:32 PM   #1
newjeepper

towing 4.0

I need to tow a 4000lb car 160miles....The highway has some nasty hills on it too......I have a 4.0, do you think it will be able to handle it?

newjeepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
Beachead19

A class III hitch on your 4.0 should tow 5,000 lbs easy. I have never towed that much with mine tho. Do you have the factory tow package? An aux tranny cooler will help you out greatly. Others should chime in with more/better advice.
Kolak Ignition
-----------------------------------------
Beachead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 10:52 PM   #3
newjeepper

I dont have the tow package. I am just worried about the I6 and tranny, There are a few long steep hills on the interstate that I will be traveling on.
Unread 02-11-2003, 08:17 PM   #4
MilanJeep

The Jeep will easily be able to handle it, however don't expect to have much/any power left. You might not be able to go over 60 mph.

Milan
MilanJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2003, 08:52 PM   #5
Intrepidjeep

I wrote all the below before I realized your trip was only 160 miles. Consider that as you read it -- 160 miles may not warrant all the work I mention below, but you can use your own judgement. The important thing is: keep your speed DOWN. You don't have fender-benders when you're towing a heavy car at highway speeds -- you have disasters.

-------
I tell you, if I was driving a vehicle that weighs less than 4000 pounds towing a car that weighs 4000 pounds I sure wouldn't be going over 55. It's so easy to get in trouble.

I believe when you rent the dollies and trailers they have stickers on them telling you to not exceed 55 or so.

If the other car is staying on all four wheels, then you just consider the car's weight; but if it's up on a dolly or on a trailer, then you have to add the weight of the dolly and/or the trailer to the equation. They are *heavy*.

Make sure your brakes and cooling system are in perfect condition. FLUSH all four brake channels so you have fresh clear brake fluid, and use good DOT4 brake fluid.

I would consider flushing the cooling system and putting in a nice fresh 50/50 mixture if it hasn't been done in a couple years. Draw out any power steering fluid you can get out and refill it with fresh fluid. (Towing is rough on all systems, including steering.)

Make sure the transmission doesn't already act a little strange, or you could be stranded during a long tow. Regardless, I would change the transmission fluid and filter and install a transmission cooler -- it's very cheap insurance against a blown tranny. You wouldn't want an expensive transmission job right after the tow.

AIR UP THE TIRES to somewhere within 35-40psi range, as appropriate for a high-load condition like towing. This is extremely important for a safe ride and to avoid overheating the tires.

A weight-distributing hitch would distribute more of the weight to the front tires, instead of making the rears do all the work, and will help your Jeep maintain a flatter, more stable attitude.

Probably the BEST advice: When towing, slow down and enjoy the scenery and you'll get there safely!
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L

Last edited by Intrepidjeep; 02-11-2003 at 09:00 PM..
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2003, 11:15 PM   #6
Grand Enigma

new thermastat and high flow housing couldnt hurt such as a 160 or 180 degree one.....also turn of the over drive (it will hurt the gas mileage a bit) but be much easier on the trans
Grand Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2003, 01:27 PM   #7
Camster

yes i definitly agree. TURN OFF THE O/D. it's just a little button on the dash. this will save your trasmission. it keeps it from shifting into fourth gear. especially do this if it starts "hunting". that is if it can't seem to find a gear and want to constantly downshift. you probably will be riding in 3rd gear up hills but that's better than fourth. as mentioned earlier it will hurt gas mileage but it's still well worth it.

i would also recomend buying a tranny cooler. you can get a decent one for like 40 bucks and it's a real easy install that most gas stations will do if you don't feel comfy doing it yourself.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2003, 06:35 PM   #8
newjeepper

Just wanna say thanks to everyone! I will get a tranny cooler and probably a class III hitch.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.