Towing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Towing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
RudeDog666
1996 ZJ 

Towing

We're leaving to travel 440 miles to pick up my daughter a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S with a U-Haul car dolly trailer.

I'm wondering if I need to have the OD off when pulling this vehicle with my 1996 GC 5.2L?

RudeDog666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

A resounding YES!!

And remember every time you turn off the ignition it resets that switch. So you will have to push it again each time you stop for fuel/potty/food.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
picflight
1996 ZJ 

Why the need to turn OD off?

Is this for whenever you tow? I tow frequently too, so wondering as I have never heard of this OD off requirement.

1996 Grand Cherokee 4x4 V8 5.2L Up Country Laredo
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

It changes the shift points, putting less strain in the engine, for one reason.
It's Ok to have on, once you reach your cruising speed on level ground. I turn mine off in that case....but hit the button again when coming to a hill or bridge, while towing. Same goes for stops.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:02 AM   #5
RudeDog666
1996 ZJ 

Sorry I got back so late it's been a busy weekend.

Thanks for the information. I changed the oil, checked tire pressures, put fresh gear lube in the axles, and changed the tranny fluid, plus checking levels on everything else. It should be a successful trip.
Unread 10-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You will burn it out towing with it. It's rather weak.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
GoneBad
1997 ZJ 

Your profile lists Green Bay which suggests you won't be towing over the Rockies or Appalachians. I tow a lot with my 5.2 ZJ including pulling a trailer of similar weight coast-to-coast. Put on 10,000 miles on that trip. The trip included hundreds of miles of 70-75 mph freeway all the way to back-road passes so steep I couldn't maintain speed in 3rd gear. I also tow trailers in the Cascades many times a year. 160,000 miles on vehicle and not a stitch of trouble with the driveline. It does have the factory tow package.

All that being said, on level ground I let OD operate normally, keeps the engine RPM down and helps the gas mileage. If I get in the mountains I disable the OD to improve performance and reduce shifting.

Drive safe and leave extra margin for braking -
GoneBad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
RudeDog666
1996 ZJ 

Thanks GB. It will be a fun trip. We're going to Toledo, OIIIIIIIO where approximately 100 of my relatives live. It will be a fun filled weekend.
Unread 10-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBad View Post
Your profile lists Green Bay which suggests you won't be towing over the Rockies or Appalachians. I tow a lot with my 5.2 ZJ including pulling a trailer of similar weight coast-to-coast. Put on 10,000 miles on that trip. The trip included hundreds of miles of 70-75 mph freeway all the way to back-road passes so steep I couldn't maintain speed in 3rd gear. I also tow trailers in the Cascades many times a year. 160,000 miles on vehicle and not a stitch of trouble with the driveline. It does have the factory tow package.

All that being said, on level ground I let OD operate normally, keeps the engine RPM down and helps the gas mileage. If I get in the mountains I disable the OD to improve performance and reduce shifting.

Drive safe and leave extra margin for braking -
This exactly.

ZXJ isn't a 1-ton truck, and it's downsides are on the bad brakes and lack of aux tranny cooler in many of them. Other than that, they are actually pretty damn capable tow trucks.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2014, 02:37 AM   #10
RudeDog666
1996 ZJ 

I just got this ZJ at the beginning of this year and it appears to have been taken care of very well. The brakes could be better but I trust it to make the trip and I just thought it would be smart of me to ask around to make sure I don't blow the engine/tranny on the way back.

The last ZJ we had for 11 years and she ran strong the entire time we owned her, 1997 I6. Multiple high mileage trips and towing various loads short distances with OD off. It proved quite capable.
Unread 10-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #11
picflight
1996 ZJ 

In city driving, under 40mph, when I switch the OD off I smell a light burning stinky smell when I get out of the jeep. Trailer is not attached.

Transmission, all differentials and transfer case were recently serviced.

1996 Grand Cherokee 4x4 V8 5.2L Up Country Laredo
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #12
RudeDog666
1996 ZJ 

Could be residual fluids burning off the various parts or exhaust.
Unread 10-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
anthonys

put a expensive tank of premium and a small can of 108 octane booster. what you need is a max energy hypertech programmer.
but turn off the od if your gonna climb or something you got the v8
l towed a 65 thunderbird with my 4.0 no problem
anthonys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonys View Post
put a expensive tank of premium and a small can of 108 octane booster. what you need is a max energy hypertech programmer.
but turn off the od if your gonna climb or something you got the v8
l towed a 65 thunderbird with my 4.0 no problem
Flawless logic...
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
RudeDog666
1996 ZJ 

We made it back in great condition. The only problem I had was with U-haul giving me an auto transport trailer instead of the tow dolly.

We had a great visit with my relatives down there and we got 20.5 MPG on the way down and 14.5 on the return trip. I forgot how comfortable the seats are on long trips.

THANKS for all the great information and THANKS JEEP for the great truck ! ! !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.