Tow Hooks - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tow Hooks

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 12-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #16
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
i really beg to differ, i have my front hook off a 1-ton chevy and it got PUT TO WORK and all i have is the front 2 bolts in the driver side unibody, to the point where people were taking 10-15 feet slack and trying to jerk me out of a hole a week or two ago and i dont see and stress in the frame or anything at all.
I understand you feel that is adequate, but i do not. the unibody is far too thin for the loading it will encounter in that situation. you may have been lucky so far, and i hope for you sake it lasts, but i wouldnt expect it to.

For the record, i DO NOT recommend this.

Unread 12-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #17
reeds86xj
1996 ZJ 

The aftermarket rad support is the best bang for your buck, pretty good deal considering it's worth it's weight in gold. Just my .02. If you go the cheap/easy way out someone is just askin to get hurt.
1996 ZJ Laredo 182,000 4.0L Auto, 3" lift(upcoutry springs and 2"BB), 31x10.50 A/T's, Dana 30/35 3:55's, Cobra 29LTD, Thrush Turbo Muffler
reeds86xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #18
Brg0012
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
i really beg to differ, i have my front hook off a 1-ton chevy and it got PUT TO WORK and all i have is the front 2 bolts in the driver side unibody, to the point where people were taking 10-15 feet slack and trying to jerk me out of a hole a week or two ago and i dont see and stress in the frame or anything at all.
I am not trying to beat a dead horse here or lecture you, but please do not use the tow hooks with out the proper support. It only takes one time for them to come flying off and seriously hurt ,kill someone or do some serious damage to a vehicle. I understand we are all on a budget but I have seen a tow strap break that had metal hooks on the end very similar to a your tow hooks and if it has hit someone it would be bad news.
Brg0012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brg0012 View Post
I am not trying to beat a dead horse here or lecture you, but please do not use the tow hooks with out the proper support. It only takes one time for them to come flying off and seriously hurt ,kill someone or do some serious damage to a vehicle. I understand we are all on a budget but I have seen a tow strap break that had metal hooks on the end very similar to a your tow hooks and if it has hit someone it would be bad news.
yea ive seen the tow hook thing, but i havent had an issue but then again its very VERY rare i let someone jerk me. i hate people taking a full speed run and going tight, if you cant pull me out with torque and traction anchor off and pull the winch line

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingtheZJ View Post
I understand you feel that is adequate, but i do not. the unibody is far too thin for the loading it will encounter in that situation. you may have been lucky so far, and i hope for you sake it lasts, but i wouldnt expect it to.

For the record, i DO NOT recommend this.
i completely understand/respect your opinion we all have our own, but luckily after next weekend hopefully i wont have to worry about it buildint myself a bumper and will be tied in tight enough i plan on being able to pull a freaking house down with it lol

i never claim that my ideas or my ways are the best out there, i just show people what have/havent worked for me.
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #20
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

i appologize for my profanity, but i cant pass this up

Quote:
its very VERY rare i let someone jerk me. i hate people taking a full speed run and going tight
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
its very VERY rare i let someone jerk me. i hate people taking a full speed run and going tight
Oh man, where do I even start.....
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #22
Jeepfordan
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

Oh man, where do I even start.....
Lol it's almost too easy
1998 XJ- 4.0/AX-15/231- 3.5" RE. 4.10 gears
Jeepfordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

LMFAO i know, i know, i know........ but theres really no other way of putting it. hahahaha
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.