Tough Electrical Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tough Electrical Issue

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 10-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
Steveman09
1997 ZJ 

Tough Electrical Issue

So I bought this 97 ZJ few months ago and everything was good until recently it developed a strange Battery Drain.

I'm on my 2nd battery to no avail.

I recently found that after the key is shut off and removed the HVAC Auto unit after about 1 minute comes on but the screen is very dim, also the compass overhead and VIC come on! The VIC says rear lamp failure for about 30 seconds then goes off, then comes on again in a few minutes and says the same thing.

Also the Blower comes on with the HVAC unit as well, if I turn the HVAC switch off the blower and HVAC unit goes off and stays off, but the VIC and overhead compass and auto dim mirror stay on!

This is driving me nuts and runs the battery down.

When I start it up with the key all systems return to normal until the next key off.

Any idea's?

Steveman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
melk
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman09
So I bought this 97 ZJ few months ago and everything was good until recently it developed a strange Battery Drain.

I'm on my 2nd battery to no avail.

I recently found that after the key is shut off and removed the HVAC Auto unit after about 1 minute comes on but the screen is very dim, also the compass overhead and VIC come on! The VIC says rear lamp failure for about 30 seconds then goes off, then comes on again in a few minutes and says the same thing.

Also the Blower comes on with the HVAC unit as well, if I turn the HVAC switch off the blower and HVAC unit goes off and stays off, but the VIC and overhead compass and auto dim mirror stay on!

This is driving me nuts and runs the battery down.

When I start it up with the key all systems return to normal until the next key off.

Any idea's?
Fuses and relays, ground straps, PCM wires. Good luck.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
patchman5401

You may want to check a thread titled 1998 ZJ Electrical Problems by Hemimonster425 a little farther down the list. Sounds like you may have the same kremlin that he did!
patchman5401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Steveman09
1997 ZJ 

Update : Got it figure out!

So here's the deal, I figured out whats going on today and fixed it as well!

So I found a water leak that was pretty severe on the passenger floor, under closer inspection I removed the fuse box/relay center assembly to find it completely soaked and full of water!!!

I removed the fuse box and took it apart and dried it out with a blow dryer, now on to the water leak issue....

I traced the water leak to blocked Cowl Drains causing overflow into the heater fresh air duct!!! so I cleaned the cowl all out and re tested no more leaks! Also for good measure I read somewhere about the antenna leak issue so I sealed that grommet up as well.

I removed all the interior and drained the floor pans with a drill then replugged the holes, removed the seats and carpet and sent to detail shop for cleaning.

All is well now

Leaks fixed and no more electrical issues!
Steveman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Well done - 100% success at minimal expense is the perfect result.
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

When you say you cleaned the cowl drains, can you be more specific? Location, method, etc. We have had a ton of rain here and I just experienced virtually the same symptoms. Thanks for your help.
savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.