Totaled the ZJ last night - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Totaled the ZJ last night

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-16-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
josephmartins
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Totaled the ZJ last night

Yes, I still can't believe it, but she's gone guys.

Going around a bend at night I hit a patch of ice, slid into a roadside rut, skidded sideways into a tree, flipped onto the driver's side and slid to a stop.

Amazingly, I walked away (scrambled was more like it). The medics on the seen saw the demolished rear end of the vehicle and could not believe I walked away. Part of my rear suspension flew across the road into the woods on the opposite side. I'll post a few pics if I can get any.

I have to say I'm glad I was wearing my belt, but I'm also glad I was in the ZJ. That damn thing held up really well considering what had happened. The entire front end of the truck was basically unharmed. It was too dark to assess the other damage but the firefighters said she's demolished on the back end.

So here I sit wondering what to do next, counting my blessings that I'm even able to sit here and write about it.

I had thousands in new parts on her...and I'm going to see if they'll let me remove them tomorrow. Damnit, I just had the brakes flushed too! Then, I'm hoping I can find another ZJ with the insurance money...though it just won't be the same. I'm going to miss that truck...so damn reliable overall. Well, if I can I'll part out what's sellable that I don't need like interior leather parts which should all be in excellent shape, as well as drivetrain and such. I'm keeping the custom stuff in hopes that I find another ZJ quickly. If I can't I'll have to sell that stuff too.

First I'll take a good look later today to see what can be salvaged.

If anyone here in New England has a ZJ for sale, particularly a black limited...I'm interested.

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
01 WJ Limited, 4.7, 247, black on black, 157k miles (sold)
96 XJ Classic, 4.0, 242, black on grey, 267k miles (sold)
00 XJ Sport, 4.0, 242, fern green on grey, 76k miles (sold)
90 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, 242, burgundy on tan, unknown mileage (sold)
97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, black on black, 138k miles (wrecked 12/15/05)
98 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, burgundy on black, 197k miles (sold)
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 01:51 AM   #2
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Good thing you walked away. It is still your Jeep so you can take what ever you want from it. Insurance claim won't go down by much if you remove aftermarket parts.

Best of luck finding a new ZJ
Unread 12-16-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
Redsand
1998 ZJ 

I'm really sorry for your loss. Atleast you are ok and that is all that matters in a situation like this.

Hopefully you can get yourself back in a nice ZJ, there are plenty of them out there for the taking.
Redsand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 02:14 AM   #4
grandman97
Web Wheeler

damn joe very sorry to hear that ... it was as slippery as i've ever seen a road here in CT tonight, my friend was just in a 25 car pile-up on I-95 (she's ok, car totalled) once again very sorry joe, your zj was one of my favorites.. good luck finding another one soon, glad you are ok... JEEP ON
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 06:39 AM   #5
Othoni

Glad to see that your ok. Sorry to hear about your ZJ. Im sure you'll find another one.

[URL]http://www.cardomain.com/id/othoni[/URL]
Othoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
teemsta

my buddy owns a used car lot and i ran into him the other day at the parts store and he was driving a black zj with a V8 and its for sale im sure. its not a 5.9 though. let me know if interested and i'll swing by his place. its in providence R.I.
teemsta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
table
2000 WJ 

Glad to hear you're ok. The ice from that stupid storm is all the way down here in Wash, DC also. I've heard of people doing "buybacks" from their insurance companies. If you can find out what that is, you'd be able to get the whole jeep back and sell the mods individually to get back some of those thousands that you put into her.

good luck finding a new one - i'm sure they'res plenty out there.
Unread 12-16-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it was nasty here in Mich last night too.

I was following an Explorer that did the same thing...hit a patch of ice, slid off the road, and then flopped on its side.

Glad you're okay.
Unread 12-16-2005, 08:48 AM   #9
mr_user

Joe,

That's devastating...Such a nice ZJ, one of my favorite on the forums. Last night was absolutely brutal here in NE. My mom hit the brakes in my driveway about 10 feet back going 3mph and slid into my hitch arm. Don't sweat it too bad, tons and tons of people will be feeling empathetic after the conditions last night.

New: '02 WJ Limited 4.7L, Stock for now
mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #10
sailingnut

glad your ok sorry to hear about the jeep
My first jeep
thanks Jim ;)

Colorado Jeep Club Member
sailingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 09:30 AM   #11
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Make sure you get checked out by the doc Joe - You never know if there are injuries lurking there.

Good luck getting the mods out of your rig, especially that hood. I agree with Matt and Mike - yours is one of the sharpest rigs around.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 09:38 AM   #12
maybee
1996 ZJ 

Joe,how devasting.So glad you are okay. What a loss such a stand out truck. I'm in northern Michigan and for once it was not bad driving last night. I would imagine you will start feeling pretty sore by mid afternoon and find out how many hit's you actually took in that crash.Take it easy.

96 [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen]Laredo [/COLOR] [/COLOR] 5.2 V-8 [FONT=Verdana]Char-Gold Satin Glow[/FONT]
maybee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #13
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Sorry Joe! Glad you're all right!
You just never know! Well, it'll work out!

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #14
CinciSurWJ

Sorry to hear that !

Glad you are OK and walked away from the crash !
Kevin's 2.5"BB, DT3000, OME SS, Addco Rear Sway bar
Front Skid & Transfer Case Skid.

CinciSurWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2005, 10:09 AM   #15
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

JOE!! I love your truck and what you have done to it. The black-out look is so sweet. No white letters on the tires go perfect with those black wheels. FFFFF dude.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.