Torque Questions! Please Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Torque Questions! Please Help!

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-19-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Torque Questions! Please Help!

I'm installing a 2" BB along with new control arms, bushings for both sway bars, and bushings for both track bars.

This might be a dumb question but whats everything that I should torque to spec? I know the wheel lugs must be, but anything else? (Control arms, shock bolts, ect) Also do I torque everything to spec after the wheel is mounted, on the ground, and torqued?

My Haynes Manual says the wheel torque spec is 80-110lbs. What is best? 95ft-lbs?

Lastly does this seem like a good affordable torque wrench?

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...365-c-9159.htm

Thanks everyone!

ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
JAMS201075
1993 ZJ 

Torque to spec. Doesnt matter if the wheels are on, as long as the full weight is on the springs. IE: jackstands under axles or tires installed jeep on ground. If you dont youl chew up new bushing and such. I do my wheels at 110. Seems like a good deal on the torque wrench. Not sure about brand.
JAMS201075 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Look here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...tions-1424883/
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Guarantee that every bolt in your suspension has a torque spec. Given how mission critical those bolts are I'd find the specs for them.

I torque my lug nuts to 100 ft lbs. Torque wrenches have an allowable amount of variance from the actual torque setting. It varies by wrench but 3% is typical. The means mine set at 100 could be torqueing to 97-103. I usually shoot for upper middle of the range.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Thanks everyone! And thanks for the link Polka!
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Bought the wrench. Looks pretty legit. Does have both 3/8" and 1/2" plus you can take the middle section out and have a 17mm socket. Not sure how to properly use a torque wrench though, shouldn't be too hard!
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
cdaniels85
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJNewbi3
Bought the wrench. Looks pretty legit. Does have both 3/8" and 1/2" plus you can take the middle section out and have a 17mm socket. Not sure how to properly use a torque wrench though, shouldn't be too hard!
Twist the wrench until the "twisty" cylinder meets the line associated with the torque setting you want. Then use like a traditional ratchet until it gets hard to turn and you hear a "click." That sound means success.
cdaniels85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels85 View Post
until it gets hard to turn and you hear a "click." That sound means success.
either that or it means you snapped the bolt off i have experienced both
Unread 07-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
cdaniels85
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio

either that or it means you snapped the bolt off i have experienced both
Then allow me to amend my previous comment:

That is either the sound of success or possibly the sound of "it's time to buy beer and yell very loudly."
cdaniels85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
Torque , torque spec , torque specifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.