Torque converter working intermittently - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Torque converter working intermittently

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Torque converter working intermittently

Hey all!
Searched for the answer in the forums to no avail.
I have a '93, 5.2L, 46RH, 249, & 3.55s with 205,000mi.

The torque converter only locks up occasionally under the conditions when it should be locking up, especially on the highway... It NEVER locks up on the highway.

Obviously ZJs aren't known for their fuel economy, but the non-locking converter sure isn't helping at all in that department.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Unread 06-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
cootertwo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

There is a solenoid in the tranny that controls the converter lockup. Mine is intermittent on and off, until I get up to 55 or so, then it usually stays in until I hit an upgrade. I should have changed that solenoid when I serviced my tranny. I've even thought about putting a switch in that circuit, to cut off the lockup, until I'm cruising.
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Thanks! I gather that the solenoid can be changed when doing a trans filter/fluid change?
Unread 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I though the 46 RH trannys didn't have those since they are hydraulic.

Never mind, here is a write up. If that is the problem this should help. http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...placement-46RH
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Thanks! After reading the article, it's only a little more complicated than I thought, but not too bad!
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
tevisesplin

What do you mean by not locking up??? My trany is all jacked up, like when I pull out to pass and floor it the engine revs imedeatly to red line and the MPH stays the same. Is this what you are talking about? also it wont shift out of first unless I take mt foot off the gas. also when stopping at a light it wont go back to first unless I manually put it in first, and it tries to start off in a higher gear. is any of this the lock up solinoid?
tevisesplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
cootertwo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevisesplin View Post
What do you mean by not locking up??? My trany is all jacked up, like when I pull out to pass and floor it the engine revs imedeatly to red line and the MPH stays the same. Is this what you are talking about? also it wont shift out of first unless I take mt foot off the gas. also when stopping at a light it wont go back to first unless I manually put it in first, and it tries to start off in a higher gear. is any of this the lock up solinoid?
NO, that's not what we're talking about. Sounds like your transmission is toast. I'd check the kick down cable adjustment first though.
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #8
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tevisesplin View Post
Your transmission sounds like it's certainly not healthy. Start with adjusting the Throttle Valve(TV) Cable, there's a thread on here somewhere, IIRC.

When you step on it, it should downshift and boogie right along, and the 1st gear deal sounds pretty screwy to me.

Maybe a filter change & fluid refill wouldn't hurt either.

DO NOT do a complete flush! It'll guarantee your transmission's death!
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
shackwrrr

When I got my jeep it did exactly what you describe, the brake pedal switch was bad even though the brake lights still worked(separate switches inside the unit). The brake switch is about 25 bucks at the dealer and changes in less than 10 min. If you want to try a part I would start with that. If you would like to diagnose your issue before buying anything let me know, I can give you some things to check.
shackwrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Went to the JY and got 2 brake switches. For FREE!!!!!
Changed out the first one and SUCCESS!!!!!!
Now I have a spare!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.