Torque Converter Unlocking?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
jeepjeepster

Torque Converter Unlocking??

Recently started having an issue with my torque converter unlocking when it shouldn't be. Just to knock it out before people start posting, I am almost certain its not the TPS itself, but it cant be ruled totally out.

Started several months back when the torque would randomly unlock, but always locked right back. This would happen when cruising along at 60mph with no movement of the throttle, just holding 60mph. Didnt matter if I was going up a hill, flat ground, doesnt/didnt matter, it would unlock. So I replaced the TPS with a mopar unit, twice... No change...

Now its started unlocking when Im barely on the gas. Say cruising on flat ground at 60mph, it takes very little throttle to maintain that speed. It will unlock the torque and stay unlocked till I give it more throttle. Say to go up a even the smallest hill. I can continue to make it do it by backing off the throttle(but not letting completely off the gas!) then giving it more gas. It will keep locking and unlocking if I do this.

This only happens after driving for darn near ~25min. It never has done it in the mornings going to work, only in the evenings going home. My drive is 30min, so the last 5min of the drive isnt a huge issue with it doing this. But it doesnt ALWAYS do it going home, its random. But it does seem to be happening more often. It appears to do it with O/D turned off also.

Thoughts? No codes, but I plan on hooking up the snap on to watch things as the issue happens more often. Im wondering if its some sort of electrical issue that only happens once things are warmed up. But Im not certain. Ive never read of this happening, Ive only read of the typical unlocking caused by a bad TPS.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 08:16 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Lock up splenoid in thr trans maybe? Check the wires at the trans for looseness .

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #3 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 08:29 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

.....also saw something about going to taller tires can cause this, but it was in another forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
post #4 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
jeepjeepster

Can you elaborate on the lockup solenoid? Where is it? Does it only control the torque converter. Ill check the fsm when I get a chance.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
jeepjeepster

It has basically stock size tires so that shouldnt be an issue. Had them for over a year now with no issues till
Now.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 10:54 AM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Its in the pan on the valve body. I'll look in the diagnostic manual when I get home. I know it can be tested with a DRB, but there are ways around that I imagine. On the phone right now or I would post some pics. I think it would throw a code. But it may not if its intermittent.

post #7 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
jeepjeepster

Been reading up on it, its also the 3-4 solenoid. It seems to shift fine from 3-4 even when the lockup is acting odd. Guess it wouldnt hurt to change it anyway, its due a fluid change.

Seems the 94 ZJ has the 3 pin connector but the 4 pin connector works fine. May have to remove the valve body to access the wiring though... :/

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #8 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 01:26 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

I couldn't see on the phone you have a 94. You have a seperate TCM in the mix. I would check all connections for pin tightness and cleanliness before I laid down any cash. Plus there might be a cracked solder joint in the TCM. I think it was Josh who repaired his. Look at your wiring diagrams and see if the TCM activates a solenoid relay for the clutch . If so, check wiring in that area, that relay blades are clean and fit tightly in the socket. Might want to swap it with another .

post #9 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
jeepjeepster

Theres a local 95 zj 4.0 that I grab parts off of from time to time. Been thinking about grabbing the TCM just to have as a spare. I imagine I could get it for cheap, I would grab the PCM also but it seems they have different part #'s for whatever reason.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #10 of 16 Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 PM
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Not sure this is the case with the 94 but on 96 and up the brake switch is tied to the TC lockup circuit so that it disengages when you hit the brakes. Sometimes the contacts in the switch get to bouncing and cause a problem like you're having. The acceleration part of your problem doesn't fit this failure mode exactly but the brake switch might be worth looking into.

When it starts doing it keep the skinny pedal steady with your right foot and barely touch the brake pedal with your left foot and see if anything changes.

post #11 of 16 Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 AM
chakkuchan
1995 ZJ 

Once in a while my 95 4.0 has trouble moving from complete stop to rolling. The rpms stay normal for acceleration but Jeep crawls, could this be same problem?
post #12 of 16 Old 04-17-2016, 01:03 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS

1998 ZJ 

Bands need adjusting or clutches going out. Changed the fluid lately?

post #13 of 16 Old 04-18-2016, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
jeepjeepster

Lightly holding the brake while holding the gas steady doesnt unlock the torque converter on my 94. I've never tried it on my niner but I have on my 94. Ill try it again just for giggles but the brake switch did come to mind.

Didnt drive the Jeep this weekend but its 80F here today, interested to see if it starts doing it sooner on the trip home since its warmer. Its the warmest day we've had since it started doing it.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #14 of 16 Old 04-24-2016, 11:13 PM
puubear98
1998 ZJ 

I recently tore apart my transmission valve body because this was the forth t
time in two years since I have owned the ZJ that I have lost the function of the trans. As it turns out, I found two problems. One was a worn switch valve. According to the information I have, this effects the lock up. You might want to look into this. The other thing I found was that the adjuster for the spring tension for the pressure valve was at absolute minimum. I pulled a valve out of a junker, readjusted the pressure adjustment and, so far, it has been shifting better than it ever has. It also is giving me a lot less slippage.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-25-2016, 12:45 AM
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Lightly holding the brake while holding the gas steady doesnt unlock the torque converter on my 94. I've never tried it on my niner but I have on my 94. Ill try it again just for giggles but the brake switch did come to mind.

Didnt drive the Jeep this weekend but its 80F here today, interested to see if it starts doing it sooner on the trip home since its warmer. Its the warmest day we've had since it started doing it.

Its should unlock the torque convertor if you lightely hit the brakes while on the gas.. My 98 4.0 and my 5.9 both do this

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.