Torque Converter Teeth Grinding - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Torque Converter Teeth Grinding

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE KitsKOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 07-16-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
DeanLM90
1997 ZJ 

Torque Converter Grinding Noise

Third time was not the charm while trying to stop my rear main leak.

Put everything back together started her up (in neutral) only to hear the most gut wrenching LOUD grinding noise. I can only describe it as if one were to take a spinning flywheel and slowly move it into a solid piece of metal as if using the flywheel as a saw blade. I moved it from neutral into park before shutting it off.

Anyways. I am taking it apart again to investigate. Here is what the TC teeth look like. Any guesses as to what parts are interfering would be appreciated.

Possibly related:
Usually only starts in neutral
Had to jack the tranny up past normal mount angle to get oil pan off

**Problem was a bent cover plate for the bell housing. Thank you NEWFIEZJ for convincing me to look past the jacked up torque converter teeth (unrelated damage) to see that the actual points of interference were at the flex plate bolt heads. Damage was surprisingly minimal for how gut wrenching the noise was.

Last edited by DeanLM90; 08-01-2014 at 10:41 AM..
DeanLM90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
ozzy_2_me
1994 ZJ 

looks like something with the starter is miss aligned or is not engaging or disengaging properly. only thing I can think of at the moment.
hope this helps.

- Kevin
ozzy_2_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
DeanLM90
1997 ZJ 

I want to say that it's the starter also but the thing looks completely unscathed. If it had been the culprit I would expect to see trauma. The starter tested fine on the bench also. I then thought maybe the CPS but it looks untouched and fully operational. The rubber grommet that is supposed to be around the CPS is missing however but I suspect a lazy transmission shop tech on that one considering it is nowhere to be found. I pulled all the plugs and turned it by hand for a while but didn't hear a single thing.

Could I have done something wrong putting the bearing cap back on or even the oil pump?

I really am not looking forward to replacing the starter and putting everything back together again only to hear the same excruciating noise. At least if it happens again I'll have it recorded for reference.

Unread 07-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Look at the flywheel cover for scratches . I've bent them and had the same rubbing .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #5
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Look at the flywheel cover for scratches . I've bent them and had the same rubbing .
what he said
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #6
DeanLM90
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Upon a very close inspection I did in fact notice some small circular scratches where the flex plate bolt heads were interfering. Apparently the converter teeth had been damaged previously in an unrelated incident. Thank you NEWFIEZJ for your suggestion.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.