Torque Converter seems odd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Torque Converter seems odd

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
Jeep4Thrills

Torque Converter seems odd

I've noticed since buying my used 97 ZJ that when I let off the gas at crushing speeds it seems to disengage the torque converter. It doesn't happen every time but most of the time. Occasionally when going down a hill on the interstate it will also do this. Is this normal?

Jeep4Thrills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
FucusJeep
1994 ZJ 

just curious but what exactly does it feel like when it disengages?
FucusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Are you checking trans fluid in neutral or park? An older trans that's being run a quart low from being checked in park can act similar.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Yes, any time you let off the gas the TC will unlock.
Unread 07-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #5
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

^ this, all your feeling is the unlocking of the TC. You only have problems if it doesn't lock once you continue cruising above 45 mph.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
GaJeepDriver
1997 ZJ 

Normal. My 97 does the same. I will also add, use ATF+4 if you ever add any fluid. I used dexron III when I first bought mine just to top it off and it caused the shifts to be harder and I started getting a slight bump into tc lockup. Took off the pan, changed the filter while I was in there, added a drain plug, filled up with ATF+4 and it's back to shifting smooth as silk again.
GaJeepDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Normal operation of the TC. Now when it starts to do the opposite, and not unlock when you let off the gas(causes the engine to slow you down) thats when there is cause for alarm.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Jeep4Thrills

Thanks guys. I had a tech at Aamco telling me that it was about to go. I knew he was scamming me. The tranny feels fine and I was confident until he said that. The tranny fluid has been changed every 40000 since it was new. And I just did it again at 100000.... It truly is babied and well taken care of.

Again, Thank You!!!!
Jeep4Thrills is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.