Torque Converter Replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Torque Converter Replacement?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
joshw

Torque Converter Replacement?

Hey all-- First off, I want to say thanks to everyone who has made this site possible by moderating, posting, etc. I stumbled across the board about a year ago, and while I've never posted, I've definitely used the threads in the forum to troubleshoot the problems I've had with my 1997 Grand Cherokee. I'm barely an amateur mechanic, but the information posted on these boards has been a real asset.

Okay, so here's my situation: At the 99k point, my '97 GC Laredo began idling rough and stalling while I was stopped at a light. I just moved to town and don't have a regular mechanic, so I took it to the nearest Jeep dealer.

At first they said it was the Crank Shaft Sensor, so we replaced that. When the car stalled again, I had them attach a scanner and we roadtested it together. They then decided it was the PCM. So we replaced that. Now, 7k miles later (at 106k miles), the car is stopping again.

Today they said it's the torque converter, and that I've got to pony up $1300 to change it. While I have no doubt that *they* think it's the TC, I can't help but think they're still just throwing (increasingly expensive) parts at the problem.

Does this sound right to you guys?

joshw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
jeeper96
1996 ZJ 

I doubt it's the torque converter, they may just be trying to scam you. Try replacing the ASD relay or swapping it with the A/C relay. Good luck!
jeeper96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

a failed torque converter can cause stalling.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Start throwing the truck in neutral as you come to a stop and idling in neutral, see if the problem disappears.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
89blkcomanche
1993 ZJ 

yeah it can cause stalling, if the TC isnt unlocking when its coming to a stop, could be a sticking TC solenoid

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.