torque converter lockup at 70 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > torque converter lockup at 70

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
bigstinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

torque converter lockup at 70

I just took a trip into the mountains of Bristol VA. During that trip, my 2004 WJ 4.7l did the following
would jump rpms from about 2k to 2.3k when I would hit a bump doing 70
would not increase rpms when I hit the brake while cruising steady.
Would keep steady rpm at 80.

I stopped off at a shop and asked for a transmission flush. the gentlemen said that he didn't do that anymore, trannies would go bad shortly afterwards. He indicated that he thought it was a bad solenoid.

That follows, because if you hit the brakes, the torque convertor should unlock, right?

I'm a fair wrench, and am pretty sure I can drop the pan off and swap the solenoid. As far as I know, the tranny fluid has never been changed, nor the filters.

I reading this http://hotrodlane.cc/New%20HEMI%20Te...mi%20trans.pdf for info as well.

Anybody got any advice? I'm thinking I should just drop the pan, replace the filters, replace the solenoid and see what gives.

Thougts/advice/writeups?

Many thanks!

Buy my unit bearings!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533752
bigstinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

sounds like the brake switch.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.