Torn between 4 inch and 4.5 inch lift for my ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Torn between 4 inch and 4.5 inch lift for my ZJ

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 10-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
givemeazj
2005 WK 

Torn between 4 inch and 4.5 inch lift for my ZJ

ok, so i am torn between what size lift to go with... obviously its 4 in and 4.5 in

i need some help from you guys on 2 things, first what size and second which kit to purchase.

what i would like to maintain:
-good ride quality
-relatively the same gas mileage
-good clearance for some weekend wheeling once in awhile
-reliability of the kit (i dont want to replace things every 6 months)

this would be the 4 inch lifts that i am looking at

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: Rough Country ZJ 4" Lift Kit

ZJ 4" Performance System

and the 4.5 inch kit:

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: ZJ 4.5" Lift Kit

any opinions, pictures, suggestions, and/ or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

givemeazj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I always say: "Go big or go home".

If you are going to go through all of the work to install a lift, why not go as big as you can? I'd do the 4.5 if it were me and the kits were the same price.

In either case, you'll want to go bigger later so it really doesn't matter which kit you choose. Once you go up.....it's never high enough IMO.
Unread 10-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Tiggerrrrr
1995 ZJ 

I'd rule out the Zone kit as it has fixed control arms.
Either the IRO lift and get adjustable arms later or the rough country lift + track bars and get the missing arms later.

Looking for a REAR tow hook and bracket!
Tiggerrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
Kota04SXT
2006 WK 

I would personally go with the IRO 4.5.
Kota04SXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
soccerfreak3377
1995 ZJ 

IRO 4.5". no even a question, hands down better then Zone
Unread 10-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
ZJcrawler45
1998 ZJ 

i'd go with the rough country 4". Its the only one that includes 6 CA's, but no TB's. The 4.5" included none but comes with TB's. 2 TB's is a lot cheaper than 8 CA's
Unread 10-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
KDog223
2001 WJ 

Keep in mind the price of the 4.5" IRO will go up considerably when you add the control arms.
KDog223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
givemeazj
2005 WK 

so it seems like a lot of people are leaning 4.5....

and a lot of people say the 4 inch...

so CA.... control arms...

TB??? (sorry to sound like a noob even though i pretty much am)
Unread 10-03-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by givemeazj View Post
s...
TB??? (sorry to sound like a noob even though i pretty much am)
Trackbar

______
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:20 AM   #10
givemeazj
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virmagicus View Post
Trackbar

______

thanks,

so as far as ride quality, is it safe to say that they are both going to be about the same?
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Cody1
1998 ZJ 

I would go with the 4.5, The go to rusty'soffroad.com and get fron and rear lower control arms.
Cody1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
coloradojeeper9
1993 ZJ 

If you want to keep as close to the stock ride as possible do long arms. Not only will it give you a smoother ride but better flex on the trails. Only lift kits I have used is rubicon express. But at this point they are closed and you wont be able to buy a new 1. Hopefully they will re open there doors. As for the gas milage doing any kind of lift and larger tires will make it worse. Best thing you can do is replace you gears to handle the larger tires better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I always say: "Go big or go home".

If you are going to go through all of the work to install a lift, why not go as big as you can? I'd do the 4.5 if it were me and the kits were the same price.

In either case, you'll want to go bigger later so it really doesn't matter which kit you choose. Once you go up.....it's never high enough IMO.
Bigger lift is not always best. I think its crazy to go as big as you can on the lift. The bigger you go the more top heavy you will be. 4.5 inch should be the largest he needs. I got a 4.5 inch rubicon express lift and will not go larger. Right now I got 33 inch tires and will be going to 35's soon with out lifting. I got a friend getting ready to put 37's on his zj with 4.5 inch lift. Yes that is possible but it requires a lot of trimming on the finders. To do 37's he will be cutting the inner and outer finders and sliding the front axle foward 2 inches and rear axle back 2 inches. Ya going through that requires a lot more work but is safer on the trails cause its not as top heavy
coloradojeeper9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
Mike97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

FYI - you're going to lose gas mileage. The decreased aerodynamics due to the extra height is part of it, but the larger tires that you'll be able to fit are much heavier than the stockers, and the engine will work much harder to turn them and maintain speed unless you regear. Also, if you go with steel wheels, those only compound the problem, as they add yet more weight since they are heavier than alloys. Rotational weight has a big effect on performance, it's not just the fact that you add say 20 or 30 lbs per corner to the Jeep, but the fact that it's in rotational mass.

Between the two kits I like the RC 4" kit, The fact that it comes with new control arms is a big plus.Yes, you'll need to shell out another 190 for a track bar for the front (IRO double shear is a GREAT piece), but if you go 4.5" without control arms, chances are that you'll end up having to buy control arms anyway to make it work right.

I tried 4.5" once on stock arms, the handling was downright scary. I took the lift off within a month of installing it, since I didn't have the $$ for new CA's.

And it's only .5" diff between the two kits...don't let that be the deciding factor.

What size tires do you want to run? That's a big help in determining the correct lift height.
Mike97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 02:19 AM   #14
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

I say rough country, but you need upper adjustable control arms in the front (trust me) and you need front and rear track bars.

then your getting to the point you might as well go for their 5.5 front long arm kit, it is complete and will ride the best.

your milage will go down, no way around it, to help with it, you can re-gear, stay away from steel rims, find some nice 16 or 17'' alloys or keep your stock rims and add some spacers (nothing wrong with them and they look better than allot of aftermarkets) also dont go all out with the baddest nitto mud tire you can find, stay with something conservative like an A/T like a BFG AT or a nitto dune or tera grappler.

also budget in a new front drive shaft if yours is the CV/ repezza style (with a boot at the diff)
Unread 02-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #15
Cody1
1998 ZJ 

or you could just throw on a BB for $200 and some 31's and it will ride great....haha
Cody1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.