Tools or Phone - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tools or Phone

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 08-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #16
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

I just commute 7 miles to work. Worse case I make a call (and I have), wife takes me home so I can pick up the top 1/2 of my tool box and take it to wherever I may be. My gas mileage is bad enough without dragging a bunch of tools around.

zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #17
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A basic set of tools can make a big difference. Flashlight, basic wrench set, compressor, screw drivers and voltmeter (electrical problems are often simple, but without a voltmeter you are stuck).

It won't handle everything but it will greatly increase the chance that you can at least limp to a better place or help.

Whenever I get a car, i put together a tool kit for it.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave94 View Post
As much as I hate not having room to haul something, I get this uneasy feeling when I leave home without any tools in my jeep. However, I would bet that if I ever got stranded I would either not have the right tool/part anyway or wouldn't be able to fix whatever is broken ( And I'd just have to call a tow truck).

Does everybody keep tools/spares in their jeep? Has it ever helped?
Tools & common spares. An abbreviated list of fluids, for just in case (Dexron can be used in place of pretty much any oil except two-stroke, for instance.) Don't keep coolant - just keep plenty of water (R/O or distilled. Good in radiators, batteries, and YOU.) Brake fluid (foil seal intact.)

Spare hoses & clamps. Spare belt, and tool to change. Spare bulbs, fuses, & relays.

With a little thought, you can come up with a fairly compact, lightweight (relatively) kit that will handle most common contingencies - the ones you don't need a shop for.
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
L_Kilkenny
1998 XJ Cherokee 

With any higher mileage vehicle I generally try to carry some sort EM tool kit but I also lean heavily on the preventative maintenance idea.

- Inspect or just plain *** replace the breakline going from the ABS box to the rear. Had to replace 3 of em on older vehicles in the last few years. Luckily everyone one of them blew out in the driveway. Go figure. Short of that, carry a plug so if it blows out you can cap it at the front and limp home on front breaks.
- Idler and tensioner pulleys. Replace before any extended trip. Had a couple freeze up on me and snap the belt in short order.
- Coil wire. Had 2 of these leave me dead in the water in the last 10 years. Carry a used spare from the old plug set you should of replaced.
- Inspect/replace tranny cooler lines.
- Inspect/replace power steering lines.
- Alternator, toss up. I've had one go out towards the end of a 6000 mile road trip and got lucky enough to find a shop that had the overhead door open at 5 pm on a Sat. evening. If I had known that Cameron, MO. had an Advance Auto I would of just pulled in there and done it myself.
- Starter, see Alternator.
- Fairly new to the 2 Jeeps I have but I'm currently workin up a list of sensors that might leave me dead in the water (Idea's?). Sensors that just make you run bad.......... let em sit on the store shelf until you need em.
- Inspect/replace a basic "duh" list. Belt, hoses, tune up, new fluids and filters, new breaks, etc. Keep used belts and hoses for emergency.

Everyday I carry 2 qts. oil, 1 qt. tranny fluid, power steering fluid, break fluid, 1 gal 50/50 coolant, tire plugs, fix-a-flat, portable 12v. air compressor.
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #20
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Right now, I've got just about all the tools I own in the back of mine from doing the axle swap from hell on my sister's Maxima.
Top half of my roll around is back there with an assortment of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 sockets and ratchets, various sized wrenches, screwdrivers, torx bit set, Allen heads. Bottle jack and stands, breaker bar and cheater pipe, pickle fork.
Luckily my last truck ('97 ram) used a lot of tools that work with my zj so I didn't have to change the kit I keep too much. Haven't had any sensors go out yet, knock on wood, but when they do, I'll keep a spare for those too

I also keep a charger for my phone and one of those 10 minute emergency battery packs for it
txbass06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

I have two toolboxes in my jeep and I'm always adding to them.

One is your basic Craftsman tool set of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets and common sized wrenches.

The second is for any tools I need that didn't come in that set. Allen/Torx bits, axle center nut socket, transfer case fill/drain socket, big hammer, pry bars, screwdrivers, multimeter, OBDII reader, wire snips/crimpers, etc. Every time I go out on a wheeling trip, somebody always breaks something and someone from the group pulls out a tool that I don't have in my set, so I end up adding to it all the time.
Unread 08-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #22
Hurracayne
1998 ZJ 

I have a small tool bag, flashlight plus some spare hoses. I carried stuff like that whether I'm in a new vehicle or older.
Hurracayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Real maglite and fire bottle in reach of the driver. Ratchet straps, bailing wire, tools in the bag in back. I carry a spare serp belt that is smaller so it bypasses the power steering. I also have a rain jacket in the bag and a bunch of garbage bags.

For wheeling I bring spare steering components, thats about it.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.