JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Tools or Phone (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/tools-phone-1554967/)

SuperDave94 07-28-2013 08:44 PM

Tools or Phone

As much as I hate not having room to haul something, I get this uneasy feeling when I leave home without any tools in my jeep. However, I would bet that if I ever got stranded I would either not have the right tool/part anyway or wouldn't be able to fix whatever is broken ( And I'd just have to call a tow truck).

Does everybody keep tools/spares in their jeep? Has it ever helped?

ErikTheRad 07-28-2013 08:57 PM

I'm a pretty handy fella and can hold my own with a wrench under the shade of a tree. But when you're on the side of the freeway 100 miles from home armed only with a small collection of hand tools, there's only so much you can do. So, keep that phone with you.

SAR-Swimmer 07-28-2013 09:04 PM

Well, I keep a decent ratchet set, (1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch drive) in my jeep, along with a wrench set, a couple of crescent wrenchs, some electrical tape, a few hose clamps, and a couple types of pliers. As for parts, some oil, transmission fluid, anti-freeze/coolant and a spare drive belt, is all I carry usually, but it certainly depends on where I'm going and what I'm doing at the time, sometimes, I'll add a few things.
We really don't have the room to carry every spare part we may ever need, but having a few basic tools, gives you the option of doing a re and re, on a broken part, instead of getting hosed on both the price of the part, and labour.

JColee 07-28-2013 09:20 PM

I've been handed down tools from my father and grandfather the past couple of years, and have managed to have many spares. Recently, instead of carrying around my entire toolbox, I've bought a bag that I have used to carry all the tools I think i'd need on the road. It's a soft bag, so it doesn't slide around, nor does it take up a bunch of room. When I work on my Jeep, I also use that same bag of tools. If I find that I need something else, i add it to the bag. Helpful information I gained from this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/w...l#post13513781

MikeHoncho88 07-28-2013 09:23 PM

I was on a road trip 500 miles from home. My CEL came on and the engine started cutting out.

I didn't have any tools with me. Not even a flashlight, and it was the middle of the night.

I called a tow truck and they took me to the nearest dealership (which was closed for the weekend).

The next day under light of day I found a loose bolt on the alternator. 30 minutes later, including the walk to the nearest store to buy some wrenches, and I was back on the road.

If I had a flashlight and a set of wrenches I could have saved a whole day.

Lesson learned, I always carry a few basic tools just in case.

zander21510 07-28-2013 10:54 PM

I carry a ratchet set, hose clamps, a few feet of transmission line (since part of my transmission line is hose clamped and I was stranded once when it failed before...), enough transmission fluid to just top off from a complete drain, a quart of oil, some brake fluid, diff. oil, bout half a gallon of coolant, gloves, battery jump starter, tire inflator, flashlights, car phone charger, pliers, a paper Texas road map & US map, and blankets. All fits in a nice line across the cargo bay behind my spare tire. Not a lot of room taken up, I can still fit 4 suitcases with the seats up and a full size spare. In addition I'm equipped with a CB Radio and GPS I keep in the glove compartment. All my electronics can plug into the battery jumpstarter (it has a 12V plug). Also I have a spare key hidden somewhere on the Jeep.

Basically, over time you will figure out what you need based on weak spots with your particular jeep and just general precaution. I have enough to fix small to medium problems on the road, and if I can't fix whatever is broken, I can stay put for however many hours it takes for me to get rescued and be assured that I have electricity to keep communications active (weather it be to charge my phone or operate my CB.) and blankets to keep me warm.

I honestly hope I never have to use any of my supplies on the side of the road, but it's better to never need them and have them to need them and not have them, as they say.

Anticanman 07-28-2013 10:56 PM

I carry spares to get me off the trail and AAA to get me home. I'm fortunate to have friends who have Cherokees and grand Cherokees. They have the space to carry the communal spare parts and I have the flatbed at the touch of a finger.

eagsc7 07-28-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JColee (Post 15729731)
Helpful information I gained from this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/w...l#post13513781

I'll start marking the tools I use, and putting that into a kit. I have one of those 130 piece "Mechanics Tool Kit"(The Blue Box from Wally World). There's many pieces that I haven't ever used, but I haven't taken anything out of it.

Has someone already made a set like this for ZJs? I understand that MANY tools will be the same, but what sizes do we need for our ZJs?

Rimfired 08-20-2013 11:47 PM

I bought a bag like this and put various things in it. I have one of those mechanics tool sets from Walmart, a tire pressure gauge, some shop towels, my Haynes manual, and a roll of duct tape. The duct tape already saved my *** once when the upper rad hose blew. Instead of calling someone for a hand I was able to tape it up, top off with coolant and head to the auto parts store. Duct tape, don't leave home without it!

nodoze 08-21-2013 12:35 AM

I have a craftsman kit that I always carry, and I added some hose clamps and other little items to it along with a utility knife. I also have a sleeping bag (it gets cold here in the winter), a maglight, and sometimes snacks/water. Looks like I need to add some duct tape :)

The kit has come in handy a few times: I've had a coolant hose blow off on the highway once, and I changed an alternator in a parking lot on a road trip, and I replaced a MAP sensor with a junk yard part while I was stuck about 500 miles from home. Haven't needed the sleeping bag yet, but you never know.

zachjf 08-21-2013 03:03 AM

I carry THIS if I plan on going anywhere beyond the city limits as well as my 2 ton floor jack, breaker bars, torque wrench, a set of Torx bits from t-10 to t-60 and my new favorite toy, THIS bad boy! pretty much covers anything thats happening on or offroad

Midnightluckey 08-21-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperDave94
Does everybody keep tools/spares in their jeep? Has it ever helped?

Yes and yes.

The only spares I don't carry on a daily basis are axles and driveshafts. Everything that lives in my jeep: Various sensors, sway bar links, tre's, assorted grade 8's, spare disco pins, lug nuts, fuses, bulbs, ign switch, rad hoses, belt, a few injectors and spark plugs, a few long spark plug wires, as well as plenty of duct tape, electrical tape, and tie wire for those "limp mode" repairs.
My tools include a bottle jack, hi lift, 4 way, socket set with 1/4-7/8, 8-19mm sockets (deep and shallow) screwdriver set, metric and sae wrenches, various hand tools, plus everything I need at work everyday (electrical tools, drill, impact, sawzall, etc).

dnuccio 08-21-2013 08:28 AM

i have a harbor freight tool set, spare sensors (crank, IAC, tps), zip ties, duct tape, test light, fuses, misc. wire and connectors, and a cell phone

Cherokee95kid 08-21-2013 02:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I keep my tools in here. Its a custom box I made with a drawer. I also have two Bottle jaxs, a tire iron, breakor bar, jumperes, and varios parts and fluids in the box or in other cubbies around the jeep.

JeepNicholson 08-21-2013 02:34 PM

I keep a bunch of tools, fluids, my chainsaw and axe, spare hitch balls, a few spare sensors/small parts, and a stainless steel spork in my Jeep. Also a p38 can opener which hangs from my rear view.
And one emergency ration of bourbon, which should be standard equipment.

The time now is 04:28 AM.