TNT Dana 44a Truss install Question... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 39 Old 03-14-2014, 12:30 AM
Kur
1998 ZJ 

Just because the center section is aluminum doesn't make it a weak axle. It's actually pretty strong compared to a regular 44. Aluminum is a strong metal, especially when it is as thick as it is on that axle.

And 44a isn't the real name either. It's actually a 44hd.

The only real problem with the 44a/hd is the total lack of aftermarket support and/because of the (undeserved) stigma of the aluminum center.

My build thread here.. if you care to have a look.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/my-not-quite-build-zj-build-thread-1382160/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 03-14-2014, 01:10 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
R&P is stronger on the d44a, housing is prone to flexing though. The biggest issues are the lack of afternarket support, and too weak clamping force on the carrier bearing caps. The housing flex and not enough clamping force makes the bearings go bad.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #33 of 39 Old 03-14-2014, 08:10 AM
CatSplat
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kur View Post

The D44A moniker was adopted mainly to differentiate between the aluminum D44 used in the Grand Cherokee and the very similar (but internally different) IRS aluminum D44 used in the Vette and Viper that was also called the "D44HD". Not to mention that the "D44HD" name was also used for a particular variation of the iron front axle.

1994 5.9L ZJ, retrofitted UC package, NP242 swap, 17" JK Moabs with 32" BFG MT KM's.
The Jeep of Theseus

post #34 of 39 Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 AM
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kur View Post
Just because the center section is aluminum doesn't make it a weak axle. It's actually pretty strong compared to a regular 44. Aluminum is a strong metal, especially when it is as thick as it is on that axle.

The only real problem with the 44a/hd is the total lack of aftermarket support and/because of the (undeserved) stigma of the aluminum center.
I have never seen a broken steel housing. I've seen 2 broken "44heavy duty"( )housings. Cast Aluminum can't touch steel in that application.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
post #35 of 39 Old 03-25-2014, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post

I have never seen a broken steel housing. I've seen 2 broken "44heavy duty"( )housings. Cast Aluminum can't touch steel in that application.
Its common knowledge. Do I am not going to have to worry about warping my 44a with 31-32" tires, while being locked up? Im a feather foot as it is.

J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket)
post #36 of 39 Old 03-25-2014, 06:06 PM
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post
Its common knowledge. Do I am not going to have to worry about warping my 44a with 31-32" tires, while being locked up? Im a feather foot as it is.
That was a response to the post at the top of the page. You'll be fine

V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
post #37 of 39 Old 03-25-2014, 06:40 PM
ejschultz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post
I have a lot of fun with my Aussied 44A and 31s.

01 TJ - 4.0L, NV3550, 2" Skyjacker budget boost, Xenon flat flares, LoD front bumper, Tuff Stuff rear bumper, RH4X4 sliders, 33" STT Pros on 15x8s
post #38 of 39 Old 03-25-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
evan1395
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post

Good to know. Because thats the exact same setup i intend on getting.

J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket)
post #39 of 39 Old 01-15-2017, 07:03 PM
chimpanzee

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post

Good to know. Because thats the exact same setup i intend on getting.
That's what I was going to do. Get a TNT truss for Dana 44a, along with ZJ brackets.

However, I ran into below comments about the Aluminum housing "heat cycling" eating carrier bearings:

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...na-44a-options

Quote:
I have had the same 44a for six plus years now. It has seen hell under my rig and next week I will be pulling it out in favor of a trussed XJ 44 with 33 spline shafts and a Detroit. You can get alloy axles for it but IMO it is not worth it. The reason I say this is it is my theory that you want the axle to break if anything. Upgrade the shafts and your carrier becomes the weak link.

If I could get a full case locker for the 44a I would keep it even longer. When you re-gear the thing make sure you get a guy who knows what he is doing. Because the aluminum center section expands and contracts so much with the heat caused by regular use it is common for them to eat carrier bearings faster with the Aussie installed and regular street driving.

The aluminum center and weak tubes aside the 44a is a strong rear axle. It will hold up to as much if not more abuse than a regular 44 or 8.8. Put a truss across it and a skid under it and the 44a will live a long life under your trail rig. It would just for me to split the carrier as I drive mine to and from the trail.
The previous owner (ace mechanic) of my '96 ZJ is telling me the same thing as above, he had the Dana 44a differential rebuilt because of the "heat cycling" flaw

I'll either go with the

1) Ford 8.8"
out of a Ford Explorer, from a junkyard with IRO ZJ bracket kit)

2) East Coast Gear Supply Dana 44

built up with ZJ brakets

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-198...30-spline.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.