Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Tj gas filler bezel on a ZJ???

17K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  OverlandZJ 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have been thinking about making the swap using a tj gas filler bezel, on my zj,
I know there will be some modifications needed to make this work,
I am just looking to see if anyone else has done this to there ZJ, and how easy it was??

Thanks Cody.:2thumbsup:

#3 ·
anyways it worked great! :)

Attachments

#4 ·
I am looking to do this too, so did you just grab one from a JY? And if so, what did you have to do to get it to fit right?

thanks

#5 ·
First from inside jeep there will be two bolts to take the door off....
you will have to remove the interior. Then there are two rubber stoppers on the outside remove those too...

Next i panted the inside of the fuel opening,

Next line up the new bezel, mark and drill holes

(I had to cut the hole in the back of the tj bezel a bit bigger to accept my gas cap...)

Bolt it up and it turned out really cool! :D I love it!

Attachments

#6 ·
final pic

Attachments

#7 ·
And i went with a locking gas cap $15 (any parts store)

TJ bezel $25 (ebay)

#8 ·
Nice one, so that little tab inside the door on your 1st pic, did you just snip that and remove it or is it just my eyes playing up?

#9 ·
nope I left it alone, although the only problem i came to was that i had to remove this bolt (shown below) for the TJ bezel to fit.....

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
This i a pic of how i removed this panel

Attachments

#11 ·
Looks good, bought mine from Quadratec several months ago. Ebay took you for a little ride on the price. The part number for the TJ filler neck is 17742.02 and the cost was like $9.95 plus some shipping.

#12 ·
My Orvis locks the door stock . The release handle is just under the power seat controls on the floor . I wish that option was on the 5.9 .

The TJ bezel looks good

#15 ·
yes i did use self tapping screws and i predrilled too.... it worked out very good, good and tight, it's not going any where :thumbsup:

#16 ·
your tinted tails look good what did you use?

#17 ·
And, if anyone was wondering? I have taken off the "4x4" Logo as well as all of the other jeep logos i didnt want anyone thinking i drove a 2x4 hahaha

#23 ·
I really want to do this.. Can some one post up a parts list?

#27 ·
Well, I installed the TJ bezel. I removed the old fuel door (very easy once you find the bolts after removing the plastic inside). I cleaned out the area and sprayed it with some semi-gloss black rustoleum. The only problem I ran into was that I had to modify the bezel. I had to make the hole (where the fuel neck is) quite a bit larger using a dremel (use at low speeds on plastic, trust me), but overall it was a pretty simple process and I think it looks great. I also used self tapping screws, pre-drilled.

#29 ·
I want to do this, but I'm a little paranoid about screwing it up for some reason...

#30 ·
Lakoswolf said:
I want to do this, but I'm a little paranoid about screwing it up for some reason...
The only thing you could possibly mess up is your $15 bezel, and if that happens just get another. Go for it man!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.