Tires for snow - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tires for snow

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 01-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Tires for snow

I am thinking about buying some new tires for the snow. Right now i am running 32" BFG All Terrains. my ZJ is lifted 4.5" so i can go a little bigger in the tire dept. Any ideas on what i should buy?

bpete123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

JP Magazine, March 2012, has a tire test with 33 tires listed and rated for street, sand, mud, rocks, snow, and ice. On average, mud tires are rated less well performing on snow/ice and All Terrain tires are rated better performing on snow/ice. A/T's are rated lower performing for mud and M/T's are rated higher.

For pavement driving in winter, an aggressive A/T is a better choice than an M/T.

GoodYear DuraTrac, GoodYear Silent Armour, Pro-Comp Extreme A/T, and BFG A/T KO are rated highest on snow/ice for A/T's.

GoodYear MTR, Mikey Thompson MTZ, and Nitto Trail Grappler, are the highest rated snow/ice M/T's.

YMMV.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
torchd
1998 ZJ 

Goodyear DuraTrac

/end thread

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

www.treadwright.com guard dogs. They did well when I went up to the mountain the other day with 3 feet.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
93zjbums
1993 ZJ 

Bfg all terrains in my opinion there is no better
411117_2913492669124_1014886809_33010698_445895773_o.jpg  
92 xj stock 358k miles wifes
93zjbums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #6
MarkInTombstone
1993 ZJ 

I hate BFG AT. They like to cup on the outter edge after a while. Then you have to balance them all the friggen time. Junk!
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93zjbums View Post
Bfg all terrains in my opinion there is no better
Uumh.. no.

I've had this opinion on my head for quite a while, and after the wheeling trip last Sat. it became even more evident. BFG ATs simply 100% suck BIG TIME on snow. They are way overrated as winter/ snow tires IMO.

I honestly don't get it how so many tests and so many people over there like 'em in the snow. I myself am running 32 x 11.50 BFG MT KM2s, they did great on the snow wheeling in about 10"-15" of snow. Burst a rear tire, swapped in a BFG AT and after that I was going no-where! Even at full throttle the tread wouldn't clean up, where in MTs I hardly ever even got snow in the treads at light throttle.

For the road, the BFG AT has a really crappy tread pattern (no siping, just that weird kind of wiggly whatever ) and it has very hard rubber compound that gives you a lot of miles. But those make it a really horrible tire for packed snow and ice, and also slush won't get out of the treads/ from under the tire because there are no openings from the center towards edges to take it out.

If it were me and was looking for new set of tires and wanted snow grip and offroad capabilities, I would be looking at Goodyear Duratracks. They have a really nice looking tread pattern that could actually do something to privode grip in both on the road and off the road, and they have siping on the knobs to provide adequate packed snow/ ice grip. Heck, they even have pre-drilled holes to install studs for ice grip.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #8
93zjbums
1993 ZJ 

ive never had trouble with bfg at's in snow check the pic i didnt spin the tires out there and had no problem maybe my jeep is lighter since it has the 4.0 i only used full time 4wd , and it has some cupping but no vibrations at 80 mph.
92 xj stock 358k miles wifes
93zjbums is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
ive never had trouble with bfg at's in snow check the pic i didnt spin the tires out there and had no problem maybe my jeep is lighter since it has the 4.0 i only used full time 4wd , and it has some cupping but no vibrations at 80 mph.
I had a set of BFG ATs for a while in winter, and sold them because they were so bad. Trust me, they are crap! That snow in your picture isn't too deep, you could probably make it there with pretty much any tire that has some sort of grooves.

Try any tire that has even half- decent tread pattern for snow, and you understand why BFG ATs suck. The fact you made it to a certain spot in snow does not make it a good snow tire. A good snow tire has tread pattern that slings out snow from the tread (keeps it clean, that is), preferrably has siping (like in true winter tires), and has soft rubber compound. BFG AT lack ALL of those qualities. Like I wrote, it is way overrated.

We had one guy with 31" ATs driving a Suzuki Sammy last saturday on hour wheeling trip. He couldn't even get out of the parking area that had slightly under 10" of snow, from where all others just drove off to trail head. For packed snow, the ATs suck even more because they don't have any kind of edges on the tread that would "bite" the snow like siped tires do. I say it again, GY Duratrack has the kind of tread pattern that should make it good in both packed snow and deeper stuff. It's still far from true winter tires, but certainly way better than the average MT or BFG AT..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #10
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

I've had bath bfg ats and general grabber at2s, the bfgs did kinda suck in the snow but I love my generals. So much more siping and wider lugs than the bfgs, you should check them out.
roughknight69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Lol that's a light dusting. My buddies BMW is RWD and can drive through that without spinning if he has his snow tires on.
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
teknic
1995 ZJ 

Bridgestone Blizzak DM V1's
teknic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
bpete123
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice everyone. So far i like what i hear about the goodyear duratracs. I am not buying them for about 3 weeks so i will keep studying up.
bpete123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #14
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Even though BFG ATs are snowflake rated, they are NOT winter tires! Currently to obtain the rating, the tires are tested on snow only, not ice. Most AT tires would pass the test, but they are not ideal for winter driving.

I've never had any trouble with the destination ATs on snowy (NOT icy) roads. However, as soon as the snow compacts and ice starts forming on the surface (mainly at intersections), they loose traction. That's why I bought true winter tire (Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1). Michelin X-ice has similar performance. However, do not expect miracles. On average winter tires will give you ~ 20% more traction, which is not that much but still helps (more on ice). Studs only help when temperatures are around freezing (32F). If the temps dip below say 12F, ice becomes too hard for the studs to penetrate and you may even loose traction. The best choice really depends on the local climate and your intended use (city/hwy or unplowed roads/offroad)
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bfg at isn't all that bad, duratracs are all the rage. I'd buy Duratracs in a heartbeat
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
snow , tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.