tire tread and transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tire tread and transfer case

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
minimodes89
1998 ZJ 

tire tread and transfer case

Hey I have a 98 ZJ with full time 4 wheel drive, and when I went to the dealer to get an inspection they said I had to replace all for tire because one of them had more tread than the others or else it would mess up my transfer case. I was wondering is this true or are they just trying to get more money.

minimodes89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

Its true. If you have AWD your tires have to be all the same size. So that means getting 4 new tires. If not, you will eventually wear out your transfer case because that one mis sized tire will be turning faster/slower than the others.
Unread 01-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
minimodes89
1998 ZJ 

Alright thanks alot
minimodes89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
subliminal
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Before you waste money on new tires how bad are they? If 1 or more of them are bald then maybe that MIGHT throw it off but even that I doubt it. As long as the tires are all the same size you should be okay. It sounds to me like theyre just trying to get more money.
subliminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminal View Post
Before you waste money on new tires how bad are they? If 1 or more of them are bald then maybe that MIGHT throw it off but even that I doubt it. As long as the tires are all the same size you should be okay. It sounds to me like theyre just trying to get more money.
I have to agree with subliminal, if you still have tread on all the tires and they are the same size you should be alright unless one or two are worn a heck of a lot more then the other two. Even then damaging the T-case is iffy!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
my96grand
1996 ZJ 

as long as they are the same size,i don't see a major problem.tire wear is something that i would assume would be considered by the engineers who designed the tc.now i would consider, if you have some really worn tires,changing all 4.
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I keep my front tires at 36psi and my rears at 32psi so they are EXACTLY the same diameter.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

never ever go to a stealership...all they want is your money and will conjure up crap to get it. Though it is true that if one tire is not of the same size then it will burn up the Viscous Coupler in your 249 tcase....that doesn't mean that you need a new tcase at all. I would say take a coin to all 4 tires and place it in between the threads and if they are roughly all the same then you are fine. It is a good practice though with that style of tcase to replace all 4 at a time....just not through the dealer...you can get tires much cheaper somewhere else too.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

for an awd t-case on a jeep, your allowed 3 3/32nds of tread difference before it starts to damage components and/or cause premature drivetrain wear.. (i work at Les Schwab here on the west coast) hope this helps
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
trailblazr81
1996 ZJ 

How much is 3 3/32nds? Is that the same as 9/32nds?
Unread 01-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #11
Kramer H
Built and Supercharged 47

2001 WJ 

no, thats 6 32nds more haha, if you go to your local tire shop or even a stealership, they should have a "tread depth gauge) i have one, all it does is measure your tread depth, a "32nd" is the measurment, you could have anywhere from 2 32nds (the most worn out your tire can legaly be until cops can start writing tickets, also know as the penny measurment) to 24 32nds which is like a brand new mud tire, all of your tires should be atleast within 3 32nds of eachother..
K8 GSXR 1000- Racefit,Comp Werks,Puig,Woodcraft,B2 Industries,55W HID'S, R&G Engineering, Two brothers, ASV, DDM, "The pantie dropper"
Kramer H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
kappa080
1995 ZJ 

So I am the guy bumpin a four year old thread.... I am a student/ski bum who bought tires and wheels of craiglist after big o told me i cant just buy two tires for my Qd Zj. Even after i made the statement "thats fine sale me two and I will just drop the front drive line." So my question is can I do that will it save my transfer case?
kappa080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa080 View Post
So I am the guy bumpin a four year old thread.... I am a student/ski bum who bought tires and wheels of craiglist after big o told me i cant just buy two tires for my Qd Zj. Even after i made the statement "thats fine sale me two and I will just drop the front drive line." So my question is can I do that will it save my transfer case?
it'll burn the one in your vehicle up even faster. you have the early version and it's not the same as the later one. the later one can be disconnected from the front. the early can not. you would also roll in park.

3/32" is the maximum tread depth difference allowed. and all tires must be the same BRAND, MODEL, and MARKED SIZE.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
kappa080
1995 ZJ 

So two summers ago my front driveline need to be rebuilt so I rolled around all summer with out it. never once rolled in park and when i put it back in the fall, never once had an issue. I work at a ski resort and four wheel still works great. With all due respect to your 19000 post but I don't think your right
kappa080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappa080 View Post
So two summers ago my front driveline need to be rebuilt so I rolled around all summer with out it. never once rolled in park and when i put it back in the fall, never once had an issue. I work at a ski resort and four wheel still works great. With all due respect to your 19000 post but I don't think your right
Needs a bit of a hill to roll, and it rolls slowly.

It wouldn't make 4wd not work, it makes the front locked all the time. So you get skipping in tight turns and heavy wear on front end components.

Its OK, you're new and don't know much about the unique problems these vehicles have over others.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.