JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   tire tread and transfer case (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/tire-tread-transfer-case-666653/)

minimodes89 01-07-2009 03:34 PM

tire tread and transfer case

Hey I have a 98 ZJ with full time 4 wheel drive, and when I went to the dealer to get an inspection they said I had to replace all for tire because one of them had more tread than the others or else it would mess up my transfer case. I was wondering is this true or are they just trying to get more money.

CMARJEEP 01-07-2009 03:39 PM

Its true. If you have AWD your tires have to be all the same size. So that means getting 4 new tires. If not, you will eventually wear out your transfer case because that one mis sized tire will be turning faster/slower than the others.

minimodes89 01-07-2009 04:26 PM

Alright thanks alot

subliminal 01-07-2009 05:06 PM

Before you waste money on new tires how bad are they? If 1 or more of them are bald then maybe that MIGHT throw it off but even that I doubt it. As long as the tires are all the same size you should be okay. It sounds to me like theyre just trying to get more money.

4jeepers 01-07-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subliminal (Post 6313156)
Before you waste money on new tires how bad are they? If 1 or more of them are bald then maybe that MIGHT throw it off but even that I doubt it. As long as the tires are all the same size you should be okay. It sounds to me like theyre just trying to get more money.

I have to agree with subliminal, if you still have tread on all the tires and they are the same size you should be alright unless one or two are worn a heck of a lot more then the other two. Even then damaging the T-case is iffy!

my96grand 01-07-2009 06:58 PM

as long as they are the same size,i don't see a major problem.tire wear is something that i would assume would be considered by the engineers who designed the tc.now i would consider, if you have some really worn tires,changing all 4.

Mickey_D 01-07-2009 07:27 PM

I keep my front tires at 36psi and my rears at 32psi so they are EXACTLY the same diameter.

nashmd454 01-07-2009 07:46 PM

never ever go to a stealership...all they want is your money and will conjure up crap to get it. Though it is true that if one tire is not of the same size then it will burn up the Viscous Coupler in your 249 tcase....that doesn't mean that you need a new tcase at all. I would say take a coin to all 4 tires and place it in between the threads and if they are roughly all the same then you are fine. It is a good practice though with that style of tcase to replace all 4 at a time....just not through the dealer...you can get tires much cheaper somewhere else too.

Kramer H 01-07-2009 07:58 PM

for an awd t-case on a jeep, your allowed 3 3/32nds of tread difference before it starts to damage components and/or cause premature drivetrain wear.. (i work at Les Schwab here on the west coast) hope this helps :)

trailblazr81 01-07-2009 09:39 PM

How much is 3 3/32nds? Is that the same as 9/32nds?

Kramer H 01-08-2009 12:41 AM

no, thats 6 32nds more haha, if you go to your local tire shop or even a stealership, they should have a "tread depth gauge) i have one, all it does is measure your tread depth, a "32nd" is the measurment, you could have anywhere from 2 32nds (the most worn out your tire can legaly be until cops can start writing tickets, also know as the penny measurment) to 24 32nds which is like a brand new mud tire, all of your tires should be atleast within 3 32nds of eachother..

kappa080 04-01-2013 01:49 PM

So I am the guy bumpin a four year old thread.... I am a student/ski bum who bought tires and wheels of craiglist after big o told me i cant just buy two tires for my Qd Zj. Even after i made the statement "thats fine sale me two and I will just drop the front drive line." So my question is can I do that will it save my transfer case?

ratmonkey 04-01-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kappa080 (Post 15229362)
So I am the guy bumpin a four year old thread.... I am a student/ski bum who bought tires and wheels of craiglist after big o told me i cant just buy two tires for my Qd Zj. Even after i made the statement "thats fine sale me two and I will just drop the front drive line." So my question is can I do that will it save my transfer case?

it'll burn the one in your vehicle up even faster. you have the early version and it's not the same as the later one. the later one can be disconnected from the front. the early can not. you would also roll in park.

3/32" is the maximum tread depth difference allowed. and all tires must be the same BRAND, MODEL, and MARKED SIZE.

kappa080 04-02-2013 08:33 AM

So two summers ago my front driveline need to be rebuilt so I rolled around all summer with out it. never once rolled in park and when i put it back in the fall, never once had an issue. I work at a ski resort and four wheel still works great. With all due respect to your 19000 post but I don't think your right

ratmonkey 04-02-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kappa080 (Post 15233575)
So two summers ago my front driveline need to be rebuilt so I rolled around all summer with out it. never once rolled in park and when i put it back in the fall, never once had an issue. I work at a ski resort and four wheel still works great. With all due respect to your 19000 post but I don't think your right

Needs a bit of a hill to roll, and it rolls slowly.

It wouldn't make 4wd not work, it makes the front locked all the time. So you get skipping in tight turns and heavy wear on front end components.

Its OK, you're new and don't know much about the unique problems these vehicles have over others.

The time now is 11:29 AM.