tire sizes for 17 in wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tire sizes for 17 in wheels

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
nsgrillo

tire sizes for 17 in wheels

Hi guys...

I've got an '04 WJ with the 17in wheels on it and after 55K on the stock Michelins, they're done. With my lead foot, I'm suprised they lasted so long. I didn't think about it when I bought it, but the tire selection for 17in wheels in the stock size sucks. I really want BFG KOs but the closest size is 245/75/17. Stock is 235/65/17. Has anyone had experience fitting this tire size? Any rubbing?

nsgrillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 01:42 AM   #2
jeep_on

Iíll trade you my 16s for your 17s. 245s should fit. Iím running that size in a 16Ē with no problems.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #3
wportervt
2003 WJ 

I don't think those will fit with a stock suspension. I've got 255/70/17's on mine with a 2" lift and it's pretty tight.
wportervt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #4
toke
I_R_Food

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on
Iíll trade you my 16s for your 17s. 245s should fit. Iím running that size in a 16Ē with no problems.
Thread Hi-jack
I have a set of the stock Chrome 17's I'll sell you check my profile for pics and PM if interested

2001 Grand RIP

2004 Rubicon RIP
toke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsgrillo
Hi guys...

I've got an '04 WJ with the 17in wheels on it and after 55K on the stock Michelins, they're done. With my lead foot, I'm suprised they lasted so long. I didn't think about it when I bought it, but the tire selection for 17in wheels in the stock size sucks. I really want BFG KOs but the closest size is 245/75/17. Stock is 235/65/17. Has anyone had experience fitting this tire size? Any rubbing?
me too, mines an 02 and i have the chrome 17's. it really pissed me off, i love the BFG A/T KO's, I had them on my XJ and they were awesome. i really wanted them on the WJ, and i was expecting to pay a ridiculous amount for them. i didnt think they wouldnt even make them in that size.

tire selection is horrible for this thing.
Unread 12-08-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
nierace
2003 WJ 

245/75R17's will NOT fit...that tire is 31.6x9.8, so you need at least a 2" bb to get them on there. You can run 245/70R17's with some rubbing or 245/65R17's without any rubbing...

No you cant put BFG's on a 17" rim on a stock WJ...I actually don't get why BFG doesn't make a size that would fit since alot of SUV's run 17's now...
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
No you cant put BFG's on a 17" rim on a stock WJ...I actually don't get why BFG doesn't make a size that would fit since alot of SUV's run 17's now...
no it doesnt make any sense. it didnt help that i saw a toyota Rav4 last night with BFG A/T's and i cant get them.
Unread 12-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
nsgrillo

Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'm going to go the 2" lift route. Can anyone reccommend a good one? I've been looking at the Teraflex and also the Rubicon Express. The RE kit looks a little more complete, as it comes with shocks (only comes with two though), but would it be better to get the teraflex and just buy 4 new shocks?
nsgrillo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
nierace
2003 WJ 

Email kolak@aol.com or check out kevinsoffroad.com...

I would get 4 new shocks + bump stops...if you plan on sticking with this setup for a while go for the bilstiens.
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
jayunit1689

those tires should fit though there really isnt many tires that fit on the 17 wheel for trucks so your better off at some point getting a 16
jayunit1689 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.