tire on the roof - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tire on the roof

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Arkansas_WJ

tire on the roof

i have been seeing alot of full sized tires on the roof of other GC i see on the road. is there a reason to put it in a basket insted of just keeping it under the cover in the back?

2000 WJ Limited - 4.7l, 4x4, pioneer HU w/ ipod interface, upgraded front calipers, yakima lowrider system, uniden cb w/ 4 ft firestick, 3.5" tweeter upgrade
Arkansas_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Cool factor.

Additionally, some folks use that space on the WJ's for sub woofers.
If the Jeep is lifted, and they are running larger tires, they may not fit in the stock storage position (ZJ or WJ).

But mostly the cool factor

HTH

Unread 08-29-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Arkansas_WJ

ah yeah i agree it does look pretty cool thanks for the responce man

2000 WJ Limited - 4.7l, 4x4, pioneer HU w/ ipod interface, upgraded front calipers, yakima lowrider system, uniden cb w/ 4 ft firestick, 3.5" tweeter upgrade
Arkansas_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

I do it for the room!! I'm too cool to be cool!!

Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

downright frosty!

Unread 08-29-2005, 09:03 PM   #6
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvd
downright frosty!

WVD,
That's COLD!!!

Phil the unruly banana
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

I haul too much crap in the rear to keep a spare there.
Unread 08-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #8
JeremyBelnap

*IDEA* tire on roof

just running this by you guys to see what you think. People are asking about putting their full size spare on the roof. I know you can buy a cross member that mounts to the roof rack already, and you put your two existing cross members together and then it ties down to this new metal cross member and you can lock it...

BUT what if you bought another cross member, a factory one, off ebay maybe, just like your existing ones (so that you have 3...I'm assuming that is possible) You then can put the three together and put a hole in the middle one to tie down the tire and lock it in place and all.

The reason for this thinking is that it is expensive to buy the metal cross member that is made just for this, and I looked on ebay and you can buy additional crossmembers for real cheap.

Let me know what you think and if it would work!!

Stock infinity gold amp for sale ifinterested
JeremyBelnap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 10:00 PM   #9
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

I think that if you drilled a hole in the crossmember it would weaken it too much, better to get two and a couple plate bolted together to clamp the cross members without drilling hole that would weaken them.
tire-mount.jpg  
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 10:06 PM   #10
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyBelnap
just running this by you guys to see what you think. People are asking about putting their full size spare on the roof. I know you can buy a cross member that mounts to the roof rack already, and you put your two existing cross members together and then it ties down to this new metal cross member and you can lock it...

BUT what if you bought another cross member, a factory one, off ebay maybe, just like your existing ones (so that you have 3...I'm assuming that is possible) You then can put the three together and put a hole in the middle one to tie down the tire and lock it in place and all.

The reason for this thinking is that it is expensive to buy the metal cross member that is made just for this, and I looked on ebay and you can buy additional crossmembers for real cheap.

Let me know what you think and if it would work!!
The crossmembers on my stock roof rack only come about halfway up the tire....
Unread 08-29-2005, 10:26 PM   #11
OSCAR326

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZJ
I think that if you drilled a hole in the crossmember it would weaken it too much, better to get two and a couple plate bolted together to clamp the cross members without drilling hole that would weaken them.
I used to just scoot the two just far enough apart so that they were still almost (Each) near the wheel. Then I would just ratchet them down with two straps diagonally. It stayed up there many times at 40-50mph on fire trails....not to mention 80 on the highway.
Pro-Comp ES3000 shocks
Westin Safari-Bar
Maxtel 6" Off-Road lights
360? of Tint
Thule Roof Rack
Do my new seat covers count?![/COLOR]
OSCAR326 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #12
EMTimZJ
GSMW!

1994 ZJ 

I just did it so I could locate my rig easier at the mall. My power antenna is stuck down so I couldn't just put a little colored ball on the top. I had no choice but to buy KOR roof rack.

It clears out a lot of room in the back and allows me to put more stuff I think I need in the back of the ZJ.

Project TORTOISE Build-up thread

JCR Rock Sliders Ford Taurus E-fan Install Dana 20 Twin Stick
EMTimZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 11:15 PM   #13
PumaZJ

yea.. cool factor.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4421
PumaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 11:50 PM   #14
grandman97
Web Wheeler

i'm w/ woody mines on the roof cuz i need the space
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2005, 11:57 PM   #15
grandman97
Web Wheeler

yea i just have mine sitting on the crossmembers and have 4 tie downs..one to each corner of the roof works great.. i've actually hit large low branches pretty hard w/ the tires and it didnt budge
grandman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.