Tire Pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tire Pressure

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
historyfool24

Tire Pressure

I know this is a new guy question and well I am a new guy. But I was wondering what is the tire pressure that the dealer recommands for a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I must have really bad eyes because I can read it off the tire and then my car, being used, did not come with a manual . so if anyone can help a guy out that would be great.

Unread 04-29-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
7thStranger

There should be a sticker on the drivers side door.
Unread 04-29-2005, 11:59 AM   #3
Hooligan1

33 psi.

I'd get a manual if I were you:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34224

That one looks like a really good deal. Any manual 99-04 should work, off the top of my head I can't think of much that would have been different for a Laredo, but there are so many on eBay that you can get an '02 manual. I thought I still had mine, which I'd send you for the cost of postage, but I can't find it.

Congrats on the new Jeep- what color/options?
Hooligan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
kensue49

You could go to the source.
https://techauthority.com
QuadraTrac
Black with Gold trim
133,000 miles
stock[
kensue49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #5
historyfool24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan1
Congrats on the new Jeep- what color/options?
yeah i love my jeep

its a 2002 they call it Woodland but it looks more like a dark brown. it a 4x4 with the upgraded sound system that is about as far as options go. my dad got it for a steal, he brought the price down by 5 grand and thats not counting the 2 grand i got for my 1994 Saab 900 trade in.

and about the sticker in the door was worn away, hence the thread.
Unread 05-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #6
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

Re:Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfool24
I know this is a new guy question and well I am a new guy. But I was wondering what is the tire pressure that the dealer recommands for a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I must have really bad eyes because I can read it off the tire and then my car, being used, did not come with a manual . so if anyone can help a guy out that would be great.
I can't speak for anyone else,but I'm all for going with the recommended pressure rating on the tire sidewall
Unread 05-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Rowdy, the pressure on the sidewall is the maximum pressure. Most tires that fit on your Jeep do not require that much pressure, as our vehicles don't weigh as much as the Suburban and Excursion they can also be mounted on. Look at the label and door panel. With my 31" BFG's, I run about 28 psi, as their rating is more than double the weight of my ZJ, so I only need to run half of the recommended PSI. My tires have 55,000 miles on them, so I guess what I'm doing is about right. Or I could just be lucky.
Unread 05-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #8
theone13

The recomended psi on the door is for the stock tires. Should I still follow this psi for new aftermarket tires even though they have a suggested max psi that is much higher?

'95 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 4x4 : Stolen

kevinsoffroad.com
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
Hooligan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone13
The recomended psi on the door is for the stock tires. Should I still follow this psi for new aftermarket tires even though they have a suggested max psi that is much higher?

If the tires are what's listed in your sig, you're best off with around 32-34 psi.

NEVER RUN THE MAX PRESSURE! You'll have a bone-jarring stiff ride and the tires will not wear evenly.
Unread 05-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #10
theone13

Awesome, thanks Hooligan.

'95 ZJ Laredo 4.0L 4x4 : Stolen

kevinsoffroad.com
theone13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #11
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

Re:Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmanwoody
Rowdy, the pressure on the sidewall is the maximum pressure. Most tires that fit on your Jeep do not require that much pressure, as our vehicles don't weigh as much as the Suburban and Excursion they can also be mounted on. Look at the label and door panel. With my 31" BFG's, I run about 28 psi, as their rating is more than double the weight of my ZJ, so I only need to run half of the recommended PSI. My tires have 55,000 miles on them, so I guess what I'm doing is about right. Or I could just be lucky.
I understand what you are saying,Airmanwoody,but in light of all the problems Firestone and Ford had a few years ago I feel safer using the tire manufacturer's recommendations. You are absolutely right about the markings being for maximum inflation
Unread 05-02-2005, 11:14 PM   #12
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Also its best to measure the psi before you drive and warm up the tires.

http://www.tutorials.com/08/0817/08171.asp

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2005, 07:53 AM   #13
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy1
I understand what you are saying,Airmanwoody,but in light of all the problems Firestone and Ford had a few years ago I feel safer using the tire manufacturer's recommendations.
I understand your concern, but the Firestone/Exploder problems were attributed to sidnificant underinflation to give a soft ride. They were not properly inflated. And as you just noted, those tire manufacturers' recommendations are indeed for maximum pressure, and as Hooligan points out, should not be used on our rigs under normal conditions.

It's your decision, of course, and I'm not trying to change your mind. Rather, I want our other (especially younger) viewers here to understand why it's important to use the vehicle manufacturer's recommended pressure and not the tire manufacturer's maximum recommended pressure.
Unread 05-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #14
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Exploders had those problems because Ford Motor Company was trying to use a tire that was not rated for the weight of the vehicle they were on. Firestone was getting hammered and yes they had some problems, but no worse than any other company. They are the ones that got caught, that's all. Firestone recommended to Ford to use a different tire and Ford said no, because the other tire was more expensive. Big Whoops on their part. The markings are still the maximum and can cause premature tire wear. Ask your tire shop what you should run at. They will probably tell you between 32-36 psi.
Unread 05-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #15
Hooligan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy1
I understand what you are saying,Airmanwoody,but in light of all the problems Firestone and Ford had a few years ago I feel safer using the tire manufacturer's recommendations. You are absolutely right about the markings being for maximum inflation

I'm sure your local tire store loves you... you must go through tires very quickly. Aside from a painfully stiff ride, you'll have terribly uneven wear by running at max pressure.

You're also GREATLY increasing the chances of a blowout by running the tires at a high psi... so if you think you're reducing your chances, you're wrong.

Do you have any idea what the Firestone/Ford controversy was about? Defective tires that were underinflated. Ford recommended too low of a pressure to give the trucks a soft ride, and Firestone made some shoddy tires. I haven't looked, but I think the max pressure on my Goodyear tires is somewhere around 60psi... Goodyear says that's absolutely the most that the rubber is designed to withstand. Jeeps are fairly light weight vehicles, considering the type of vehicle... the tires are designed to be considerably stronger than what a Jeep needs, so they're designed to run at a high pressure.

This is truly one of the dumbest things I've ever heard... running your tires at MAX PRESSURE!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.