tire confusion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > tire confusion

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 04-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
blsbro
1996 ZJ 

tire confusion

To start i will say i did read the FAQ's and yet i am some how still confused. I have a 96 ZJ Stock wheels and a 2" lift I just put on. I see how people are saying with a little bit of trimming I can get 31 x 10.5 on the jeep but then I am also seeing on Tirerack.com that i can't and since i am running 225/ i am stuck at 30"?

I am trying to get the biggest tires possible with my stock wheels (OR) i am willing to get new wheels but just dont know what to get. I am looking to get BF all terrains

Any help would be awesome
thanks

blsbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

I ran 30x9.50 on stock suspension with such minor rubbing it's not worth mentioning. Okay I'll mention it. Just the plastic shield in front of the front tires.

You can run 31x with bb

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You can fit 31x10.5x15 on stock wheels and 2" lift no problem. All you should need to trim is a bit off the front bumper. You will also rub a bit on the front lower control arms at full steering lock. Fix that with 1 1/4" spacers or just live with it.

I also recommend dropping the bump stops 2" if you will be wheeling.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
adamandjessyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blsbro View Post
To start i will say i did read the FAQ's and yet i am some how still confused. I have a 96 ZJ Stock wheels and a 2" lift I just put on. I see how people are saying with a little bit of trimming I can get 31 x 10.5 on the jeep but then I am also seeing on Tirerack.com that i can't and since i am running 225/ i am stuck at 30"?

I am trying to get the biggest tires possible with my stock wheels (OR) i am willing to get new wheels but just dont know what to get. I am looking to get BF all terrains

Any help would be awesome
thanks
tirerack.com is giving you the tire size that you can fit without triming your fenders. your rims should be able to fit most any size tire you might want.
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
blsbro
1996 ZJ 

thanks

Hey guys thanks for the quick response -

I think i am going to go with these BF AT 31X10.5R15
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ORWL&tab=Sizes

Unless anything has other tire suggestions?

Thanks
blsbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

You'll love em as long as you don't play in the mud, if you like mud then you'll hate em.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
melk
1996 ZJ 

Holy crap $158 each?

http://www.treadwright.com/p-9-31-10...arden-a-t.aspx

Literally half the cost.
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by melk View Post
Holy crap $158 each?

http://www.treadwright.com/p-9-31-10...arden-a-t.aspx

Literally half the cost.
Yep, my buddy runs their 37's, I'd definitely do a set of 35's, but I'd need to invest in new wheels which would cut down on the initial savings.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.