Tire bulges more with new wheels? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Tire bulges more with new wheels?

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-24-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
Chiefwahoo
1994 ZJ 

Tire bulges more with new wheels?

Probably noob kinda idea but I NEED TO KNOW!

I 've been trying to decide which tires and wheels to go with my 94 GC, and I hae decided to go with 31" tires after my 2" BB. But after looking through the thread of everyone elses GC, I have noticed a difference between GC with and without stock rims with 31" tires.

It seems to me that with stock rims, the tires look narrow compared to with other rims such as soft 8's such as inthis pic

But with wheels suchs as soft 8's the tires seem to bulge out a little more, such as in this pic.

Now do my eyes deceive me or is this the case when you buy soft 8's or another kind of off-roading wheel? I want that bulge look with my GC, but I do like the look of the canyon stock rims.

replies appreciated

NOTE: right after i posted this i saw this backspacing thread below me about backspacing. Apparently more backspacing=less bulge. And the stock gc come with 4" Backspacing. So what bs should i buy with the new soft 8's i will purchase?

235/75R15 Hercules All-Terrains
Chiefwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
dfloyd
1999 WJ 

Most of the soft 8's you will see here have a 4" backspacing which put the wheel a little further out. You can get Spidertrax wheel spacers for your stock rims and that will move them out 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches. Check out ironrock offroad. their like $100. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=ST-S1WSK

Damn my attention deficit dis....... ooohh shiny!
dfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
Unka-Boo
1993 ZJ 

When you say "bulge" do you mean how far the sidewall sticks out from the rim?

Backspacing will have no affect on this, rim width will.....
Unka-Boo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:11 AM   #4
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

The soft 8 is a wider rim that the stock. the stock's are not as wide so the tire will not be as wide, here this is from tire rack
Rim Width Range

Because tires have flexible sidewalls, a single tire size will fit on a variety of rim widths. A tire's rim width range identifies the narrowest to the widest rim widths that the tire is designed to fit. The width of the rim will influence the width of the tire. A tire mounted on a narrow rim would be "narrower" than if the same size tire was mounted on a wide rim. NOTE: Because the overall diameter of a steel belted radial is determined by the steel belts, there is little, if any, change to the overall diameter of the tire due to differences in rim width.

The industry rule of thumb is that for every 1/2" change in rim width, the tire's section width will correspondingly change by approximately 2/10".

For example: a tire in the P205/60R15 size is measured on a 6.0" wide wheel and this size tire has an approved rim width range from 5.5" to 7.5" wide. The tire has a section width of 8.23" (209mm) when mounted on a 6.0" wide wheel. If that tire were mounted on all of the rims within its range, the tire's approximate section width would change as follows:
Difference from
Measuring Rim Rim
Width Approximate Tire
section width
0.5" narrower 5.5" 8.03"
Measuring Rim 6.0" 8.23"
0.5" wider 6.5" 8.43"
1.0" wider 7.0" 8.63"
1.5" wider 7.5" 8.83"

Because of the different wheel widths used in the above example, there is a 8/10" projected difference in tire section width when comparing a tire mounted on the narrowest rim to the widest rim within its range. This may affect fenderwell and frame clearances when selecting optional aftermarket wheel and tire packages

Additionally, some vehicle manufacturers and tire companies have permitted rim widths that are not within the tire's original approved rim width range. For example: BMW has combined 235/40R17 sized tires on 17x7.5" rims (which are 0.5" less than the narrowest 8.0" wide rim listed for the size) on certain M3 models; and Chevrolet has combined P255/50R16 sized tires on optional 16x9.5" rims (which are 0.5" wider than the 9.0" wide rim now listed for the size) on certain Corvette models. While these applications have received the approval of the vehicle and tire manufacturers, staying within the approved rim width range helps assure that the tire's internal stresses are within its design parameters.

Measuring Rim Width
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #5
Jones
Consider the following...

Simpler answer is most of us have a 12.5" wide tire on a 8" wide rim. I think stock is 9.5" wide tire and 7" wide wheel. You can see the difference right there.
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Ya , sorry about the novel I posted. my bad!
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
zippome
2000 WJ 

someone correct me if im wrong but isnt stock backspacing 6"?
4" Zone Offroad Kit, 16x7 Cragar Soft 8's, 265/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns, Rock-It Sliders, Rancho SS, Yakima Load Warrior, Flowmaster Super 40, Reverse Lights, 2 Lights Up Front, Custom 6 Switch Plate, Cobra 76 XTR CB with PA, Lightbar, Custom Hitch Tire Carrier, Fleabay Warm Air Intake
zippome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:38 AM   #8
Jones
Consider the following...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippome View Post
someone correct me if im wrong but isnt stock backspacing 6"?
Backspacing effects how far the wheel sticks out of the fender. Wheel width to tire width effects the bulge the OP was asking about. But yes it's 6" backspacing.
Unread 02-24-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
sadass
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I don't know about the back spacing, but I do know I an zjones were talking about rim width.
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
avain111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwahoo View Post
Probably noob kinda idea but I NEED TO KNOW!

I 've been trying to decide which tires and wheels to go with my 94 GC, and I hae decided to go with 31" tires after my 2" BB. But after looking through the thread of everyone elses GC, I have noticed a difference between GC with and without stock rims with 31" tires.

It seems to me that with stock rims, the tires look narrow compared to with other rims such as soft 8's such as inthis pic

But with wheels suchs as soft 8's the tires seem to bulge out a little more, such as in this pic.

Now do my eyes deceive me or is this the case when you buy soft 8's or another kind of off-roading wheel? I want that bulge look with my GC, but I do like the look of the canyon stock rims.

replies appreciated

NOTE: right after i posted this i saw this backspacing thread below me about backspacing. Apparently more backspacing=less bulge. And the stock gc come with 4" Backspacing. So what bs should i buy with the new soft 8's i will purchase?
***--** ChiefWaHoo(nice ZJ). How did you switch skid plate? did you install? What is the part # from wrangler
avain111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
G_baller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJones View Post
Backspacing effects how far the wheel sticks out of the fender. Wheel width to tire width effects the bulge the OP was asking about. But yes it's 6" backspacing.
could i put some 205 60 15 on a stock cherokee country rim??
G_baller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
spife7980
1997 ZJ 

that is an 24.68x8" tire. that is like a passenger car tire. what is the designation of the tire and what is the load rating of it. im assuming by your name you are trying to get a low profile tire but i personally wouldnt ever run a tire with only 4" of side wall on each side of the rim. i see it riding like crap as well as looking ridiculously stupid.

the stock 225/70-16 are small enough. even though im not a fan of it at least put a low profile on a larger rims so that you fill the wheel well rather than having a basically empty wheel well.
JCR Stage 2 Sliders, IRO Trans Skid, Carolina Drive shaft, IRO exhaust
spife7980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_baller View Post
I was on my highschool basketball team there guy.. I see your just another retard on here that thinks he knows who i am by my name..
JeepForum happens to have one of the more upstanding communities for Jeep owners than I've seen anywhere else. There is a wealth of tips and how-to's in its database, and its also one of the friendliest venues to be a part. On the norm I don't spend money on the internet unless I'm buying an item, but I value all that is here enough to be a supporter. The benefit is a two-way street.

G_baller, there is never the need to attack someone nor call names. As you can see from all the postings prior to your question, everyone commenting on this thread does so in an attempt to provide assistance, although as with any conversation whether internet or face-to-face, you're bound to get some opinion as well. If something/someone rubs you the wrong way, then ask a different way or let it be known that you've been offended which in turn lets them know that their posting probably came across not as they intended. I'm not sure where you came from nor what you are used to but one thing you'll be hard pressed to find on here is bashing/flaming/name calling. I'd rather see you clean up your language and be more accepting of the attempts to assist than getting kicked off and losing all that is offered here. It's your choice.
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Ahhh, a little house cleaning. Keep it friendly and those trying to do the right thing, also try to not encourage the trolls, racists, etc...Report the post(s) and move on. Thanks
Unread 11-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
JoshuaDHarp
1997 ZJ 

FTR, my post was edited because I said everyone should cut it out and they were being an embarrassment to themselves and JF.com

01 WJ-79k, 4.0 Stocker
JoshuaDHarp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.